Re: [Debconf-team] raising amount of travel sponsorship?

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:50:18 +0200, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently the budget lists 30k € for travel sponsorship, which is about what
> we gave out last years.
>
> Considering we have enough money this year I would suggest to give out 40 or
> 50k this year. (And still save 20-30k (_at least_) for Debian and DebConf12.)
>
> What do you think?

If it means that we can make faster decisions, that would be great.

For instance, if it's fairly obvious that a particular application is
going to be approved in the end, it would be really cool to be able to
reply pretty much immediately saying something like:

  We are happy to say that you'll be at least partially sponsored.

  Final decisions about amounts will have to wait for all the
  applications to be in, but hopefully the knowledge that your
  application has been at least partially approved will free you to make
  an early, and hopefully cheaper booking.

Of course, the way people react to that might well be quite a good
diagnostic for people that don't really need full sponsorship -- if they
rush out and buy tickets without comment, they can probably afford
more.

Of course, if we were going to use that as any sort of metric, we'd have
to make sure people didn't realise that's what we were doing, which
probably means we shouldn't do it.

Cheers, Phil.