Re: [Debconf-team] [rt.debconf.org #1965] The relationship between DIVA and SPI in terms of sponsorship money

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 9. März 2011, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> (I prefer leader@ for DPL-related stuff, but I do follow debconf-team.)

oki :)

> > Is it difficult to decide this within Debian?
> > Also, does it have to become a "Debian trusted organisation" for
> No, it is not difficult, but it's a step which has some weight and which
> implies trust in the involved organization from Debian. Don't get me
> wrong: I'm not saying I don't trust DIVA, it's simply that I know
> nothing of Debian and before declaring them a "*trusted* Debian
> organization" I'd like to know more about them.

Right.

> More generally, it's not clear to me what you think you'll be gaining in
> having DIVA becoming a Debian trusted organization. Wouldn't it be
> simpler to establish some sort of agreement with them, where they agree
> to transfer remaining DebConf11 money to FFIS at the end of the
> conference? Knowing very little of DebConf customs about this kind of
> stuff, I would be tempted to propose to have that agreement legally
> binding in some way. But, big disclaimer, I confess that (1) I've no
> idea how difficult that would be and (2) whether DebConf thinks it would
> be worth or not. For sure, as they are all donated money, they should be
> handled with great care, as usual.

*nods*

So, we'll either make an agreement between Debian (SPI) and DIVA, stating DIVA
will handle money for DebConf11 (and Debian will pay any debts or DIVA will
give a surplus to Debian) *or* DIVA wants to become a trusted Debian
organisation in Bosnia (and then basically the same as plan A).

If I understand correctly, these are our options. And then I think, they are
not exclusive: we can do a.) first (=now) and plan b.) too.

(And then we can still+also collect money via SPI+ffis too.)

Is that the way we should be going now? (/me thinks of much smaller DebConfs
with much smaller budgets... ;)

cheers,
	Holger