Re: [Debconf-team] Question for DebConf12 bids: Travel costs

2011/2/21 Leandro Gómez <leo.telsen@gmail.com>
On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Andrew McMillan <andrew@morphoss.com> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 22:58 +0000, Moray Allan wrote:
> It would be good if we could try to get some rough estimates of travel
> costs to the proposed venues.  (Ideally each team would check costs to
> their own city, and also check that they agree with the estimates for
> the other bid city!)
>
> We can't get correct travel costs for 2012 yet, so to avoid argument I
> suggest using instead this year's travel dates -- arrive on Sunday 24
> August, leave Sunday 31 August.
>
> For those dates, I suggest we initially try to check current prices
> from an arbitrary list of destinations:
>
> New York-Managua
> Buenos Aires-Managua
> Madrid-Managua
> Frankfurt-Managua

New York ---> Managua (American Airlines) USD 438
Buenos Aires ---> Managua (via San José) USD 1,122
Madrid ---> Managua (Iberia) USD 1,485 (Alitalia) USD 1,403
Frankfurt ---> Managua (via Panamá) USD 1,629

There are cheaper flights, at least for the last two, but these are the only ones I found right now.

> Mumbai-Managua
> Tokyo-Managua
> Sydney-Managua
>
> New York-Belo Horizonte
> Buenos Aires-Belo Horizonte
> Madrid-Belo Horizonte
> Frankfurt-Belo Horizonte
> Mumbai-Belo Horizonte
> Tokyo-Belo Horizonte
> Sydney-Belo Horizonte
>
> Anyone with time could help here by checking the prices for one or two
> combinations of cities and replying to the thread.  Please give
> details of any changes required, and the overall length of the
> journey, as well as the price you found.

I checked Qantas prices for Sydney -> Mexico City and Sydney -> Sao
Paulo (they knew of neither Managua nor Belo Horizonte on their
website).

Sydney -> Mexico City on those dates was $2332 (AUD)

It's cheaper to fly to Managua from the US. There are direct flights from Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Atlanta and Los Angeles.

From Sydney/Mumbai/Tokyo the best choice is to Los Angeles and from LAX to Managua via Continental.

Sydney --> Managua (via LAX with China Southern/Continental) costs USD 2,219
Mumbai ---> Managua (via LAX with Malaysian Airlines/Continental) costs USD 1,888
Tokyo ---> Managua (via LAX with Singapore Airlines/Continental) costs USD 1,916

Sydney -> Sao Paulo on those dates was $1795 (AUD) (== USD at present)

I expect that local flights for Mexico City - Managua and Sao Paulo -
Belo Horizonte would be comparable, and around $300-$400 return.

On Travelocity.com I got better luck with the full route:

Sydney - Managua best price was $3370 USD (and there were a few within
$100 of that).

Sydney - Belo Horizonte the only price was $2320 USD

On Amadeus.net I got the full route, also:

Sydney - Managua best price was £1987 ($3224 USD)

Sydney - Belo Horizonte the best price was £1260 GBP ($2045 USD)

Cheers,
                                       Andrew.