Re: [Debconf-team] Food planning (DebCamp mainly)

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 02:46:11 -0400, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
> If we could negotiate a way for the cafeteria to not need "exact"
> numbers beforehand (we can provide an estimate), and they will
> - count the number of "food included" badges going in and invoice us
>   later, and
> - take payments from other people without us needing to track
> anything.

Judging from past years, they're quite unlikely to be happy trying to
explain to all their till staff how to distinguish between people that
have a badge with some minor extra symbol on it, or not.

That's why we generally end up running our own door staff.  Also, if
we're not running our own door staff, how do we determine if they've
become inventive with their numbers?

Given that, we could again go for the system as used in Caceres, for
instance, where we have someone man the door who counts the people with
"food included" badges, and collects food tokens (or cash?) from those
without.  That way the catering staff can be confident that Debconf
folks on the premises are going to be paid for -- the problem is that if
the eating area has multiple entrances then it's not practical.

> This would minimize the amount we would pay, with the least planning
> on our part.

I think we've tried to do this on several occasions, and it's not quite
worked most times -- probably best to have a chat with the staff, and
look at the place to see what's workable before making firm plans.

> Proposed plan:
>
> I propose that we arrange DebCamp food for now, since that has less
> uncertainty.  Then during DebCamp, we make the plan for DebConf once
> we talk to them and learn the exact cost structure.

Seems fair enough -- we can use that to iron out problems as we go.

> I further propose that we don't provide dinner on the 17 July (DebCamp
> arrival Sunday) - one less thing to worry about, people can go out.
>
> We also heard that people who don't have food included ("Basic"
> people) can pay at the door of the cafeteria.
>
> Here are the raw numbers for DebCamp for food for reconfirmed people
> as of now:
>                  Total     ( Reg   Veg  Vegan Other )
> 2011-07-18(Mon)    62	   (  49    11     1     1  )
> 2011-07-19(Tue)    70	   (  57    11     1     1  )
> 2011-07-20(Wed)    81	   (  67    12     1     1  )
> 2011-07-21(Thu)    91	   (  77    12     1     1  )
> 2011-07-22(Fri)   106	   (  89    15     1     1  )
>
> I would propose arranging with Hotel Bosna this number of meals per day:
> Monday    - 45 meals
> Tuesday   - 70 meals
> Wednesday - 80 meals
> Thursday  - 90 meals
> Friday    - 105 meals
>
> However, they need to know that there *might* be more people than
> this, and be able to eat if needed.  There also might be less than
> this, and ideally we would be able to get a discount on that.

It might be best to not make it sound quite as uncertain as that, at
least until they see what they are having to deal with -- it's more
important that they remain cheerful, than that we save the money for 5
uneaten meals on day 1.

> Who can work on communicating this to Hotel Bosna and DIVA, getting
> exact details on the cost structure, and arrange a final plan?  Any
> questions or ideas for improvements?

I certainly don't mind being involved, once I'm there, but I'd imagine a
local would have an easier time doing the actual negotiations.

Cheers, Phil.