Re: [Debconf-team] Getting people reimbursed quickly for travel sponsorship

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> wrote:
> One thing people often complain about is the time it takes to get
> reimbursed.  To do this, I'm trying to produce this information
> sooner, with the expectation that attendees will fill out the forms
> and bring receipts to DebConf, and turn it in there, and we can
> reimburse immediately after DebConf.

As was discussed again at last DebConf, as well as on IRC and the
lists at various times, it's not good for attendees that we've
typically been taken months to make reimbursements.  After all, we're
reimbursing people who claim that they *need* this money -- it can
easily cause financial problems when we take a long time about
repaying them, especially if they had expected to get paid back
quickly.

More specifically for DebConf11, we expect to be in an unusually good
financial situation, with travel sponsorship the biggest single cost
that we are supposed to be paying directly.  Certainly this year
therefore we should be trying to make sure that the reimbursements are
as quick as possible for attendees.  I would even want us to look at
reimbursing people *before* DebConf, as soon as possible after they
buy tickets, though Richard pointed out on IRC that there's some
benefit in requiring them to actually turn up to the conference before
they get the money from us.

--
Moray