Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] Ho Ho Ho

Citando Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>:

On 06/09/2011 12:58 PM, Adnan Hodzic wrote:
If doesn't make your day I don't know what will.

Our gold sponsor Mtel has decided to give *every* DebConf11 attendee a
phone number and package along with it! I got too excited so I'm not
sure I got it right but I think this is the package they mentioned:
http://www.mtel.ba/menu/2265

Comments? :)

Sorry, i don't really understand phone marketing, but i couldn't make
head or tails of that page (other than that the models looked very
excited to be not-talking to each other).

Is it saying that each attendee will get a mobile phone running an
all-free software stack?

Lest this post be 100% snark, let me be more concrete:

 a) not every participant in debconf uses a mobile telephone

 b) mobile telephony at the moment enjoys an extremely tenuous (if not
adversarial) relationship with the principles of free software (e.g. at
least in the US, i have yet to see a functional, fully-free phone, for
reasons i'm ill-equipped to explain).

 c) if debconf actively encourages the adoption of non-free tools, or
actively excludes users who do not adopt non-free tools, it would seem
to distance the conference from our mutually-held social contract.

I would love to be wrong about (b) above.

As I see they will provide a SIM card with a bunch of credits for DC11 people. Is that too bad? I think it's a good news for DC attendees and doesn't deserve complaints :)

Regards,

--
Tiago Bortoletto Vaz