Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] Ho Ho Ho

On 06/09/2011 01:24 PM, Moray Allan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
> <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>>  c) if debconf actively encourages the adoption of non-free tools, or
>> actively excludes users who do not adopt non-free tools, it would seem
>> to distance the conference from our mutually-held social contract.
>
> Yes, but I really don't see that giving people a free mobile SIM would
> do that.

Is that what is being offered?  I actually don't understand what is
being offered, so it would be good to get that clarified.  Are these SIM
cards that will work with any handset?  Will they work with mobile
modems known to work with Debian so participants can have untethered
internet access without a non-free handset?  If so, then i agree that
the offer sounds much more welcome.

Sorry to be such an ignoramus when it comes to mobile telephony, but
having more specifics would help me understand whether this offer is in
line with the DSC.

I don't mean to be entirely negative: if MTEL has specific free software
handsets or other end-suer devices that they recommend and/or fully
support, i will be very happy about this offer.

> Or, at least, not any more than recommending they do
> anything other than walk to DebConf.  I don't know of any
> trains/planes/bicycle manufacturers which we can guarantee only use
> free software, but we currently don't see it as breaking our
> principles to recommend using their products, or to use Debian funds
> to pay for their use.

This is true.  However, unlike transit, there *are* ways to do
telecommunications (even mobile telecommunications) that use free
software.  Shouldn't debconf prefer them to the non-free platforms?

	--dkg