Re: [Debconf-team] Press release following DebConf/government meeting

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 01:49:27PM +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:

> Here is a first draft;

> ---

> The Debian project would like to announce a meeting held between the
> Government of Serbia and DebConf11 representatives on the occasion of the
> upcoming Debian conference, DebConf11, to be held in Banja Luka, Serbia.

> The meeting with the Minister of Science and Technology, Prof. Dr. Jasmin
> Komić, was to discuss the upcoming DebConf11 and to familiarize the Debian
> representatives with the city and the venue for the conference.  The
> DebConf11 delegation consisted of Dr.  Moray Allan, Holger Levsen and a
> representative of the NGO “DIVA” from Tuzla, Adnan Hodžić.

> Dr. Jasmin Komić expressed support for the conference in his official
> capacity for the Republic of Srpska (Serbia Republic) and said “we expect
> that this conference, which was held in New York last year, will enable
> significant promotion of Republic of Srpska and the City of Banja Luka on
> the international IT scene.”

As others have pointed out, these translations of Republika Srpska are
incorrect.  The question is what to put in their place.

Wikipedia covers this problematic name in some detail:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republika_Srpska#Name

Correct literal translations for the name would be "Serb Republic" or
"Serbian Republic".  Both of these are problematic because they can be
confused with Serbia - Banja Luka is NOT in Serbia.  "Republic of Srpska" is
a mistranslation, despite its apparent official use by the Serb Republic's
government.  The only universally safe option is to leave the name
untranslated as "Republika Srpska", which seems to be what English-language
news outlets are doing.

I recommend the following:

 s/Government of Serbia/Government of the Bosnian Serb Republic/
 s/Banja Luka, Serbia/Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina/
 s/Republic of Srpska (Serbia Republic)/Republika Srpska (Bosnian Serb Republic)/
 s/Republic of Srpska/the Republika Srpska/

HTH,