Re: [Debconf-team] propostal web watch debconf11 with html5

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 08:58:17AM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> It is fine if people use facebook/twitter/flickr/youtube/whatever to
> promote DebConf. If it is clear they are doing it on their own, it is
> NOT DebConf (or Debian) doing it.

I'm late to the party, but let me AOL this.  Also, this position is very
much in line with the one which is used by the -publicity team and on
the official Debian website, which I've pushed for. That is: only Free
services are used *by Debian* (and hence by DebConf) to promote what we
do. At the same time, we do not block anyone, affiliated in any way to
the project, to use other promotion channels.

It's not clear to me from the other half thread if you reached a
conclusion on the web streaming, but I believe that HTML5-based web
streaming of DebConf events with some JavaScript would be way better
than no web streaming at all. Web streaming is of tremendous help to
avoid chopping off the part of the Debian community that, for one reason
or another, cannot make it to the conference.

In that respect, it would also be nice if we could have web streaming
for different events going on in parallel. I've no idea if that is
feasible or not (in terms of manpower, bandwidth, equipment, etc.), but
it's a very useful goal to have in mind.

Thanks for the web streaming mockup, Valessio!
Cheers.