Re: [Debconf-team] howto deal with debian/debconf money at ffis (and spi)

Stefano Zacchiroli dijo [Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:11:58AM +0800]:
> Thanks for the offer, but I've already quite some headaches keeping an
> eye on the overall Debian accounting/budget "team" :-P Seriously, if you
> ask why I "want money back", it means that I've done a very lousy job
> thus far in explaining my position wrt DebConf budget. Let me try again.
>
> There is a displeasing sensation, from past heritage, at least in some
> parts of the Debian community. According to that sensation, DebConf
> organization is separate from Debian organization to some extent. My own
> position is that that is not the case: DebConf exists because Debian
> does, as we have discussed at the DebConf10 BoF. IMHO, the more we can
> do to dispel the separation myth, the better. Accounting is just a very
> important part of that. So, the shorter the time window in which we keep
> separate budgets, the better.

Well, up until the past year, we had DebConf run basically as an
independent entity, and DPLs didn't meddle in our affairs beyond what
we asked of them. But well, now you have delegated us, and DebConf has
accepted your delegation, so... DebConf is _no longer_ an independent
entity, and we are subject to the same level of scrutiny as anything
in Debian. And that's good IMO.

So, as ⅓ of the delegated DebConf chairs, I really welcome your
involvement. And I'm sure Holger and Moray will do so as well.

I have always managed to steer clear of all money gathering and
accounting details... But if it has to be so, I'll get more involved
in those areas as well. I envision we can hold not separate budgets,
but a certain level of autonomy within the allotted Debian
budget. DebConf sponsors can be seen as donating to Debian, and Debian
giving us the full money needed for a DebConf - Yes, I'm ignoring the
many details involved in local NGOs/non-profits and such, but at least
that'd be the spirit I'd be happier pushing.