Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf11 meetings

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 02:51:03PM +0100, Velimir Iveljic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We the local team (more precisely Adnan and me) were talking a lot
> about the current dc11 organization process
> and it has come to our attention that everyone is super busy right now
> with everything
> that's going on (DebConf12 decision, penta hacking, sponsorship
> issues, registration, etc.).
>
> All of these issues need time to be dealt with and everyone is trying
> their best to do as much as they can.
> Still doing them all at once seems to be making a mess in
> communication among us.

You should wait until DebConf gets closer... if you ask me it is still
pretty calm.

> That is why we (Adnan and me) propose to do one thing at a time.
> We don't mean necessarily stop work on everything else, but just take
> some time and figure out where we are before we hold a meeting.
>
> All we want to say here, is that there seems to be a lot of
> misunderstandings between us (local and global team)
> and it's making things counterproductive, since we go over things
> once, and then out of nowhere there comes a question "ooh, but what
> about this?".

There is a lot of confusion.  There are a lot of things that usually
go into a DebConf, and I think there are different expectations
between local people and global people.  A lot of things which we
normally expect to be one way, we are surprised to hear there is some
totally different idea.

This doesn't mean that everything has to be the same every year, but
things are usually done in the context of previous years:
communicating so that people will know what will be different to get
advice to make sure things will work and be what attendees want.

what to do: use wiki, make documents.

> This is mainly because at every meeting things get just half way
> "agreed", especially things we as a local team need to do.

At each meeting, it's just a fact that

I don't think that we need fewer meetings, but we do need more
communication.

Holger is right about more documentation.  I would also add the wiki
as a documentation source, as I said in an email a bit ago [1].
Ideally, I would say most free-form planning goes on the wiki (most
things), supporting documents or other files/lists in svn.

I'd encourage you all to spend time letting us know your plans as soon
as you start them.  Try chatting on IRC as you are working up things.
Use that immediate feedback to adjust things before it's too late.
Then, compile everything into a wiki page with the plan so far.  Then,
at the meetings, all we have to do is look over the plan, get a bit of
feedback and say "ok, let's do it".

What DC10 local team learned how important global communication was,
and trying to understand past plans and how they could be altered or
improved this year.  Chatting on IRC, like we did a few nights ago, is
useful for connecting with experienced people to keep on track.  Those
are "brainstorming sessions", to make a plan before a meeting, to be
approved with small changes at a meeting.

Here are some possible resources to look at:
  http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20110307.234736.fa4299ec.en.html
  [1] https://www.debian-administration.org/users/rkd/weblog/16

I have to run... I hope this helps some.  Let me know if you have
questions.

- Richard