[Debconf-team] The relationship between DIVA and SPI in terms of sponsorship money

Upon initiating our bid for Debconf11, one of the first things we
learned and realized is that we would need an NGO
(non-governmental/non-profit organization), for the purpose of storing
sponsorship money, and moving money from one place to another. For the
purposes of this document, “money” refers to money received from
sponsors in order to organize the conference.

After DebConf9 and my bid presentation for DebConf11 in Bosnia, I
participated in building this NGO from the ground up. I’m also the
author of the organization’s website, where you can find more
information: www.diva.ba

DIVA has helped us a lot in the past, and has led us throughout this
process with their guidance and advice. Their role is also mentioned
in our “Plan and Program Paper” (section 3.2 NGO 'DIVA' and DebConf 11
local team) which can be found on our website under the documents
section or a direct link:
http://debconf11.debconf.org/documentation/DebConf11-BanjaLuka-PlanandProgram-en.pdf

The issue of whether Debian should trust DIVA with its money has been
brought up on #debconf-team. I think this a completely unnecessary
topic to be discussed. You can rest assured everything will be all
right. DIVA has its accountant, SPI has theirs; this means that the
money won’t disappear, particularly because I’m personally acquainted
with these people. Second of all, all the money the Government gave us
for DebConf10 in NYC came via DIVA. Besides this, all the money we got
from Government will be allocated in DIVA, a sum of €150.000.

Therefore, the issue of trust should not be questioned, in this
matter. I personally vouch for the validity and legitimacy of this
NGO. I’m even a bit surprised that this question is raised just now,
because I thought it had been solved at the very beginning upon the
NGO’s creation.

Since the situation with sponsorships has not moved much in any
direction, I’m taking over the sponsors team to get it moving. I’m
planning to personally take care of the local sponsors, as well as
invite the global ones. I could use your guidance with this, since I
have couple of questions that could be answered regarding the global
sponsors.

Now the main question is, where should the collected money be
accumulated? In SPI, DIVA, or both? Here’s what I was thinking: when
collecting sponsorship, the potential sponsor would be allowed to
choose whether to pay to SPI or DIVA. Alternatively they could also be
separated geographically, so the global sponsorships (South/North
American) should be collected by SPI, while European, and “local”
(Balkan) ones can be collected by DIVA. For Asia and Africa and/or
Other we could provide both options where they could give the funds.

Now I wouldn’t worry about what each NGO will be paying for regarding
DebConf11, but rather on just collecting as much money as we can.
Later on we can talk who’s going to transfer what sum to who and for
what purpose, right now we should only think about getting as much
money as we can. It won’t go to waste either way, as these finances
will go for realization of (the best DebConf :P) DebConf11 and by my
calculations there should be money left for next DebConf as well :)

Either way, I believe Debian and SPI should have full trust in DIVA
and people behind it, in the realization of DebConf 11. We have some
serious institutions involved here, and if we have issue of trust
between these two, then we have a serious problem. It’s also worth
mentioning that a lot of local team, generally much of
“core-debconf11-team” signed papers with DIVA to be working on
realization of DebConf 11.

We expect to receive money from the Government shortly. Once this has
been done, hopefully Penta will be finished at that point, so we can
then start the registration process. Ideally, both of these things
could and should be finished by next meeting we’re having on the 29th
of this month.

We’re also having a sponsorship meeting next week (15th), until then
we plan to get this situation with NGO’s sorted, and by then I’ll
email you again regarding the media sponsors and how we planned that
one out.

Adnan