Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf discussion: Venue bid process

Hi all!

I'm sorry that I've been silent and away from a lot of Debian/DebConf
mailing lists due to work issues.  I hope I'm still on time to express
my opinion on this matter.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> wrote:
> Here is a new draft bid process with minor modifications based on
> comments in this thread.  While this is now a suggestion rather than
> mere description, it's not intended to be a rigid set of rules.
> Please read it and make suggestions for improvements!

Generally, I think the documentation is quite fine.  There's only a
couple of things that I'd like to comment on:

>  - Bid teams submit proposals before the end of that year.  Teams are
> free to submit additional materials, but the core of a bid is a set of
> (http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/LocationCheckList).  Bids should be
> posted to the DebConf wiki, and announced on the DebConf mailing list.

This checklist was created after DC6, mostly in response to the
frustration of several things that hadn't gone right, by many people
that had each their own perk in mind (me included).

However, I think it's not fruitful to have such a long thing called a
"checklist".  Also, I think several of the questions there are
redundant and do not really help in finding out the advantages and
disadvantages of each place at the bid stage.

From past DebConf bids, I think that when the information was not
presented as a set of answers to these questions, it was easier to
read and understand.

I think we should divide the checklist into "Bid core information"
(for bid choosing) and "Venue checklist" (for DC organising).
Information like the cabling of the mics is irrelevant for bid
choosing, but it's important for the work before DebConf part.

If there's agreement about this, I could divide the page in two
(although it would only have effect for DC13, since DC12 bids have
already gone through the hated completion of the checklist)

>  * A description of how their bid meets each of the points on the
> priority list (http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/PriorityList).

This is the other list.  First we ask bids to fill in a looooooong
thing, and then we choose only about this rather small one.  I think
that the Bid core information that I mentioned before should be based
on this other list, if we are going to choose accordingly.

The PriorityList is called "priority", but nobody really agreed on the
priorities.  This list was created for choosing DC7 and has stayed
mostly the same since.  I think we need to take a moment and think
what our priorities really are.  For example, this would be my own
choosing of priorities:

   1. strong, mature, experienced local team
   2. Affordable venue, housing, food
   3. good working spaces and presentation facilities
   4. excellent network connectivity
   5. suitable accommodation in close proximity
   6. travel logistics (visas, airport connections, *not costs*)
   7. accessibility
   8. quality and quantity of food and drink in close proximity

I've merged:
   7. presentation facilities
Into number "3", because I don't see a reason to have them separate.

I've also changed the "Affordable" one, so that it includes
everything.  Last year it ended up weighting too much (in my opinion),
when it should be considered as one of the points.

I'm not entitled to re-order this, though.  What I think is that we
should condorcet the order among the "DebConf Committee",  so that the
order used is one actually chosen and not just thrown into a wiki
page.

***

About the delegation, as Alexander already stated, back in 2007 there
was a delegated team... So far, I have assumed that delegation was
still in place, but it may well be that it was limited to the 2007
decision only.

Whether the delegation is still in place or not, I think that the best
thing would be to have a clear list of delegates now, so that they can
participate in the upcoming decision with delegate status.

--
Besos,
Marga