Re: [Debconf-team] preliminary sponsorship information for debconf11 sought

On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 06:08:33PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Heya,
>   having attended some kind of "corporate" FOSS events as of lately,
> I've already got asked by a handful of big companies information about
> DebConf11 sponsoring.  I understand it's early wrt the conference dates,
> but I'd rather think that "it's never to early" to secure DebConf
> sponsoring.
>
> So, questions, can I forward DebConf10 information on how to sponsor
> DebConf11, on the basis that it won't be *that* different? The
> information I would need are essentially the various silver/gold/...
> thresholds as well as information of who'll be processing sponsoring
> (SPI or equivalent).  Of course I can add a warning that those
> information might chance slightly in the next months, but I surely don't
> want to left inquiries about DebConf11 sponsoring unanswered on my side.

This is very good - thanks for this work!  I think as long as people
realize that exact levels and benefits may change, former sponsor
packs are a good starting point.

This made me think of something I had briefly discussed with Moray
once, about what debian/debconf teams could be merged.

So, suppose someone made up a Debian fundraising brochure, which
listed many different possibilities for Debian donations (hardware,
developer meetings, and basic DebConf sponsorship levels, of course).
This could be a good, generic year-round thing to have around.

The funny thing is that this would help merge the two, but make
questions of money going from debian -> debconf, which you had been
hesitant about before, so...

I haven't thought about this plan in too much depth, and the politics
involved would be far beyond what I know or have ability to navigate.
I thought of it now since your email reminded me of the "merge Debian
and DebConf" hope that had been floating around.

> Also, can you please point me (once more!) to the sponsorship brochure
> of last year?  Any reasons why it's not linked on the website?  I
> consider it's in our interest to make that kind of material as widely
> available as possible…

I think the idea was that we should be able to follow up by knowing
who all had a copy.  However, that was Pablo's and the sponsorship
team's domain, so all of those people can let you know what they have
learned over the years.

- Richard