Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf10-localteam] Debconf10 leftovers

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:04 PM, micah anderson <micah@riseup.net> wrote:
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:39:29 -0400, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:06 PM, micah anderson <micah@riseup.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:43:59 -0400, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Guys, I'm sure Micah doesn't want to keep all the stuff in his home till
> > the
> > > next DebConf, so if there is anything you need to store, I am renting a
> > > storage facility that has some space available. (It is in westernmost
> > part
> > > of midtown).
> >
> > Thanks Brian for being aware of the annoyance of having all this stuff
> > sitting around :)
> >
> > I'd love to put stuff in that storage space, if you have room!
> >

> There is room. The biggest issue is that since I don't have a vehicle,
> getting stuff in and out is a hassle. (I either have to wait until a friend
> with a car is free, or if I really need to, I rent a car, which is rather
> expensive in Manhattan).

Do you need the car because it is otherwise unreachable, or is it
because hauling stuff there is difficult? If its the later, the things I
have could easily get into a taxi (thats how they got to my place originally).

Well, it's not super near a subway (543 W 43rd St), but the big issue is getting stuff in and out.. IE: I was assuming that it's more than one person could carry. I suppose for dropping it off a taxi could certainly work. I guess the pickup is more problematic, but that could probably be worked around if two people unloaded the stuff from the unit, took it to the loading dock and then while one of them watched the stuff at the loading dock, the other went and hunted down a taxicab. A bit of a hassle, but doable.

I just want to make sure you have a realistic idea here. Basically, due to the lack of a vehicle, I am going to need/want help getting stuff in and out of the unit. (Hopefully this isn't more hassle than it's worth).

> Micah, do you have access to a vehicle? Also if we do this, we'll want to
> put stuff in stackable "book boxes" that are well labeled. (IE: we can't
> just throw the stuff in in bags, as stacking is key to utilizing the space
> efficiently.)

I do not have access to a vehicle :p

Upon further reflection, a cab can do the trick. It just needs a higher level of coordination.