[Debconf-team] DebConf process discussions

Those of us who were able to attend DebConf10 began some useful
process-level discussions about DebConf in the "DebConf and Debian"
BoF there.  As we didn't want to exclude input from people who weren't
there, we didn't make any firm decisions, and Stefano asked me to
re-start the discussions on the mailing list in September -- which I
suppose has now arrived!

It's worth saying that these discussions are not in response to any
specific problems, but more in response to a lack of clarity in some
areas to people not heavily involved in the organisation team.  Most
of the DebConf processes have evolved over many years, and it's worth
us taking the time to formalise them (so they don't get forgotten)
where they're working well, as well as to see if there are areas where
we can improve on them.

Minutes from the BoF, and the video recording:
http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20100812.042333.a6f1065a.en.html
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/low/1575_1575_DebConf_and_Debian_BoF.ogv

If anyone's missed it, Richard Darst has also been doing a useful
series of blog postings about DebConf processes, see
http://www.debian-administration.org/users/rkd/weblog/

A number of topics came up in the BoF, but I suggest that we try to
separate them out for list discussion spread over some weeks, to make
it easier for people who don't have much time (or who otherwise don't
read mailing lists daily) to follow the threads and contribute their
ideas.  I'll post a separate message about an initial discussion
topic, the purpose of DebConf -- hopefully some of the more practical
questions can be clarified if we think a little about this first.  I'd
certainly like to hear what others think.

--
Moray