Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf11-localteam] Sponsorship plans and prices

Hello everyone,

Vedran already did a pretty nice job with brochure, even though it
requires to be printed on a special, more expensive paper due to
colorful design. Obviously, we still haven't finished the part about
prices for sponsors. On one side, we have a long time Debian fellows
who strongly believe that prices should not be touched due to future
conferences and regular DebConf sponsors, while on the other side we
have a market reality.

I totally understand argument for keeping the prices from NYC,
however, two things should be noted:
1) we've secured a significant sponsorship from the government (it
still seems that most people are unable to recognize how remarkable
that is)
2) people outside Bosnia and especially IT/advertising market have no
valid data when it comes to ads and sponsorships

I'm running a dedicated IT media/press company here and from my
experience I know that local IT/tech companies, except for telecom
operators and perhaps local offices of international companies (e.g.
HP, Microsoft, Oracle) are not prepared to pay for any ad/sponsorship
more than 250 to 500 euro. To many that may seem very low (average
salary here is 400 euro), but that is our IT market reality and it
simply has to be taken seriously. Also, offering them what is
considered as reward for "any donation" is not enough and companies
will not be satisfied by some thank you note.

In that sense, there are three things we could do:
1) Leave prices from NYC conference
2) Create two brochures, local (different price levels) and
international (as it is).

Yes, I do understand the potential problem it creates, but it also
comes down to whether you want additional funding or not. Some may say
that government money + regular DebConf sponsors + whatever it comes
is enough and that is also ok for me.

I'll create a special, dedicated page for DC11 on my e-magazine for IT
professionals and business users, www.itpro.ba, and I'm willing to
offer advertising space there for local DC11 sponsors for free in
exchange for regular media sponsor deal.

Best Regards,
Enis Sahinovic