[Debconf-team] press (was: debconf10 is _11th_ debian conference)

also sprach Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> [2010.09.09.0703 +0200]:
> >  Alexander, who still wonders, why everything press related is
> >  always a PITA, when debconf is involved
>
> I can't speak for always, but I can say that for almost the year
> leading up to approximately one or two weeks prior to DebConf,
> unbeknownst to most, including myself, there was no active DebConf
> press team lead. While there are certainly lessons to be learned
> here, this situation has, at least for now, been addressed.

I am pretty sure I had communicated my inavailability rather early
in the process. Do I need to look through my mailboxes to produce
proof?

Fact is that there's been an SSH account on one of my machines for
several press people since October 2009, because SQL access to
debconf.org is IP-based, and it was easier to give other people
access that way.

And Alexander: I am sorry that it's been a PITA for you to deal with
me (did you ever?), but consider that I picked up the pieces of
DebConf press at a time, when Debian didn't even have a press team
and dealing with Joey was consistently a massive PITA too.

That said, I am quite aware that I was never a good team lead, never
documented the processes. I also never wanted to do that job[0].

I have never understood why DebConf needed its own press team.
I always considered it synergetically better if the Debian press
team offered their experience, contacts, and resources for the task.

Maybe now is the time that we can finally fuse the two efforts.
Although I cannot reliably allocate time to Debian yet (not quite
yet), due to my real life, I'll do whatever I can or whatever is
required of me to make that happen.

0. Between the years of 2000 and 2006, I was very active in the
   .de/.ch market and had many contacts all over Europe. I offered
   multiple times to help out and join the press team, but Joey
   never bothered to react. Since 2006, I've lost most of my
   contacts and my enthusiasm for doing press work.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

in africa some of the native tribes have a custom of beating the
ground with clubs and uttering spine chilling cries. anthropologists
call this a form of primitive self-expression. in america they call
it golf.