[Debconf-team] My reportbacks

Hi,

Due to being quite tired, I'm going to give my reportbacks here, tell someone who's attending tonight's orga meeting to read them before heading to the semicircle, and then go to sleep. (Hey, it might help my chances of attending the 9:30am talk slot on Sunday....)

Banners
-------

We looked at them, and they look great. One has bronze and higher
sponsors, meant for the conference lobby, and the other three have just gold
and higher sponsors (== HP), meant for the talk rooms behind the speakers. They
are 4 ft by 7 ft and have six grommets around the edges for use in attaching
them somewhere.

*QUESTION:* Is there an already known best vendor from whom we should rent stands for the banners, or a requirement to use Columbia or a CU-approved vendor? Once I know that, I'm happy to arrange the rental itself.

*ACTION ITEM:* Please put the banners in the coffee room (or any other suitable
place) tonight during evening cleanup. I do not have access currently.

Food (from my perspective, see also Jeremy's reportback)

The food tickets for the next couple of days were prepared and look good. Since
they weren't announced today until during the dinner period, a few people
didn't have theirs, but we dealt with it. We should rapidly assign volunteers
for John Jay entrance duties for tomorrow and the non-daytrip weekdays next
week, and distribute our food tickets for the rest of the conference to
sponsored/professional/corporate attendees ASAP.

I got some checks from our bank and paid for the most recent purchase of 75
lunch / 75 dinner food tickets ($2092.50 total).

Party stuff
-----------

I advanced Jamie Rollins $180 for party supplies for tomorrow night. He should
give me or Michael Schultheiss a receipt and any change when he's made the
purchases.

Donation box
------------

Michael and I determined that we can go ahead and solicit donations as soon as we get the relevant money-handling system in place. Which brings me to:

Monetary transactions
---------------------

I've taken Phil Hands up on his offer and delegated the handling of attendee
monetary transactions to him. (Purchases on behalf of DebConf10 and travel
reimbursements are still separately done via Michael and me.) This involves
things like selling food tickets to pay-per-meal attendees, selling extra
t-shirts as previously discussed, selling other merchandise like Safir's
stickers, and accepting donations for DebConf/Debian/SPI. He will plan to do
things at a merchandise desk behind the CS doors, but he'll tell you the
details.

Coney Island permit
-------------------

The communication timing from the NYC parks department was poor, but the quick
version of the result is: I'll head to the parks department in brooklyn
tomorrow, they'll get their application, we'll get our permit, and it'll work
out. (Convenient for the NYC Resistor party, anyway....)

IRC bot
-------

I witnessed it properly work enough to announce someone's arrival in real time.
All the stuff above kept me from spending more time on it. Raphael is still
welcome to help; I told him once to arrange the necessary access with
debconf-admin (via gpg stuff to get him a debconf.org LDAP account) but he
could probably use another reminder if he remains willing.

See you tomorrow!

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debconf.org