Re: [Debconf-team] JJ Food summary: 2010-07-12

Hi,

In order to reserve John Jay, we need to do it something like _now_...

Is anyone opposed to brian and I working to reserve John Jay for
W/Th/F DebCamp and M/T/Th/F DebConf under the proposal listed below?

Michael - we may ask for money and SPI tax-exemption information on
short notice.

Brian - have you followed up on this?  I didn't hear about it, I am
assuming we still need to, see below.

(Below assumes that we need to act, if we have acted already, ignore
the below.)

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 06:27:25AM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Brian and I called JJ cafeteria to try to set up a eating plan.  (This
> is for W-F of DebCamp, and all days except day trip day for DebConf.)
>
> They aren't as flexible on numbers of people as we'd like,
> unfortunately.
>
> Their current proposed plan is this:
>
> They sell us meal tickets several weeks in advance (prepaid).  These
> tickets are separate for lunch/dinner (different prices), but NOT
> labeled with the day of the week.
>
> We get N (= 120 or so) of these tickets per day (all given to us in
> advance.  Or so brian and I thought.).  We sell/give the tickets to
> our attendees the day-of or day-before.  As they go to eat, the
> cafeteria collects these tickets and lets people in.
>
> They said that they could be flexible to +25 attendees on some meals.
> For something like +50 attendees or more, they wanted 2-3 days advance
> notice.
>
> They didn't say much about cash attendees, but at one point they said
> something like "that's not intended to have lots of people doing
> it", and we haven't raised the subject much more.
>
> One sort of obvious loophole here is that we can use more tickets on a
> given day than we have said we'd use, and then buy more saying we'll
> use them later in the week.
>
> If we don't want to risk that, we may have to do something where we
> have an advance sign-up system to reserve tickets for people.
> However, it's even harder than last year since for large changes they
> need 2-3 days of notice.
>
> So, in short, this plan is workable, but not ideal.  We still need
> some sort of meal ticket system and monitoring the number of meals we
> request.  Or else we just make best estimates and do what we can...

I haven't heard any comments on this plan.  Maybe that's because it's
borderline acceptable but not near as ideal as we want.

However, we need to act to lock this in... like yesterday.  So,
Today(Thursday) we need to act in hurry mode to select this.

Jeremy, can you coordinate the on-site meal ticket logistics needed
for this, for camp+conf?  If we have someone we know can handle this,
then we can reasonably safely book it knowing that the logistical
stuff will get handled...

- Richard