Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf10-localteam] Local jobs organization and some questions

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Gabriella Coleman <biella@nyu.edu> wrote:

> So I think breaking this down is a really good idea and I am down for
> doing the volunteer coordinator if we break it down and have one person
> also in charge of the various sub-categories where we need volunteers. I
> can take one of the sub-categories, as well as be in charge of the big
> picture. I am also going to start trying to corral folks to volunteer in
> the first place.

First of all, the main problem is to find out who the volunteers are
going to be.  There is a field in penta to set one up as a volunteer,
but that doesn't really mean people that set it will actually
volunteer or people that didn't set it won't volunteer.

So, anyway, the first task is to find who the volunteers may be.
After that, there should be a schedule where volunteers can sign up to
do stuff.

> 1. TalkMeister: Help coordinate talks (make sure they start/end on time,
> make sure equipment works, though video team can help, and help with Q
> and A).
>        * Past organizers: how was this handled in past debconfs?

For DC8: a talk coordinator was appointed for the talk-room for a
group of talks (morning talks, afternoon talks).  This coordinator was
in charge of introducing the speaker, giving the microphone to people
asking questions, raising the  "10 minutes", "5 minutes", "Time out"
signs, and speaking with the Video Team.  When possible, we tried to
have an extra volunteer to pass around the mic (we had 2 mics), but
this could be recruited right there by the coordinator.

> 2. Front Desk: Make sure that we have the Front Desked Manned and
> Wommaned at all times. We might want to have locals always doing this as
> they can give advice about NY stuff as well.

Yes.  During DebCamp this is less needed, but still it would be nice
to have at least 1 person in the Front Desk.  During DebConf it's
important to have 2 people at the front desk, and have them in a
rotation of about 4 hours per person, so that they don't feel they are
rotting there.

> 4. Tee-Shirt Sales: Sell tee shirts.
>        * Past Organizers: how was this (successful) handled in the     past? Did
> you do this everyday? Most days? Part of the day?

This can be done directly at the front desk.  It can be announced when
it will be available, so that it doesn't conflict with other front
desk tasks.  For example, it shouldn't be available during the
31st/1st when most people arrive.  But it could be available from the
2nd till the 6th or something like that.

> We also need volunteers to stuff attendee bags but I am going to suggest
> that a whole lot of us do that together while we chat about other things.

This can be done by any group of people working in an organized manner.

--
Besos,
Marga