Re: [Debconf-team] UPDATE we can sponsor 70 % of queue B now and 100% queue A (proposal inside)

[ please Cc:-me on replies ]

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 05:20:26PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> I added to the budget the donations from FFIS (~680USD) and we have
> a drop out in queue A. This is 2000USD more, that means more money
> because the total of queue A is also less.
>
> Take a look at rev 1501. At row 50, you can see sponsoring 70% to queue
> B and 100% queue A, we still have ~ 6700USD buffer money.

\o/

> As agreed by IRC for some people, it is important telling people from
> queue B soon so they can make travel arrangements and because they have
> been waiting for a lot time now.

FWIW I agree with that and I believe queue B people should be mailed
ASAP, possibly today. If people feel uncomfortable with the low buffer,
an alternative possibility is to mail only queue B about the 70% and
postpone the mailing for queue A 100%. The rationale is that queue A 80%
people are most likely attending anyhow, the "good news" can be
postponed (and used as buffer in case of emergency). On the other hand,
queue B people at 0% are currently very much scared and are at serious
risk of not attending.

For me, as an orga team outsider, getting people *to* the conference is
the most important goal of any DebConf; do the queue B mailing, pretty
please :-) Given the current budget, it seems that there is already some
margin for covering for last minute emergency, if that won't be the case
Debian can do its part, of course.

Cheers.

PS as a virtual attachment, this mail contains a 99% ice cream for micah
   (heat madness is spreading from NYC to Paris, apparently ...)