Re: [Debconf-team] T-shirt plan - to be executed soon!

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 06:50:11PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since the contentious meeting yesterday, we've all gotten more sleep, more
> ideas have been discussed, and over $5k of additional sponsorship has come in.
> Hopefully we can all approach these decisions more calmly now. :) That said, we
> still don't want to waste money. The T-shirts really need to get ordered ASAP,
> since Gaby needs 15 days from when we give the advance payment and then
> shipping takes 3-7 days (closer to 3 given the geography). So, here's my plan,
> unless there are significant objections:
>
> * We give everyone an attendee shirt (purple since that was one of two colors
> preferred and I heard objections to canary from some people).
>
> * We also give "staff" shirts (black) to everyone who deserves a "you helped us
> out" shirt of any variety.
>
> * The cost of the extra shirts will be partially or fully offset by selling
> extra shirts for $10 to those who want them. We could collect pre-orders on a
> wiki page, sell on-site on Debian Day, etc, depending on how much we want to
> deal with the hassle of on-site merchandise sales. If we restrict the sales to
> Debian Day only I think the hassle of doing it on-site for the one day is
> tolerable given the probable benefit.
>
> * I already know one of our sponsors wants 10 extra shirts, which at a price of
> $10 pays for roughly 15 other shirts beyond those 10. I may buy a couple
> myself. I think that we should order 600 shirts, which includes the 435 which
> Marga calculated we need plus 165 for sales (including the 12 I just
> mentioned). I am told by Joerg, Moray, and Steven Gran that in past years where
> we've sold shirts, we've sold 150-200, and at DebConf6 we had to do several
> printings and still ran out, so this is realistic.
>
> * If any people receiving a "staff" shirt don't want their normal attendee
> shirt, or if any attendees don't want their normal shirt, they can give it to
> us unworn to include in the sale at the $10 price, to help our budget.
>
> If at least one or two people say they like this idea and nobody objects to it
> by the time I go to sleep tonight (not before 04:30 UTC / 12:30am NYC time), I
> will place the order with Gaby, and will pay her tonight or tomorrow depending
> on feasibility. If nobody gives an opinion either way by 16:30 UTC / 12:30pm
> NYC tomorrow, I'll go ahead at that point given the urgency.

This really wasn't enough time for objections to be raised. It was noted
in the meeting that seperate VideoTeam shirts are a significant
motivating factor. It doesn't cost any more to have video people get a
video shirt instead of a staff shirt, does it?

Is the order locked in with Gaby already?

-edrz (who doesn't even want shirts for himself ...)