[Debconf-team] T-shirt plan - to be executed soon!

Hi,

Since the contentious meeting yesterday, we've all gotten more sleep, more
ideas have been discussed, and over $5k of additional sponsorship has come in.
Hopefully we can all approach these decisions more calmly now. :) That said, we
still don't want to waste money. The T-shirts really need to get ordered ASAP,
since Gaby needs 15 days from when we give the advance payment and then
shipping takes 3-7 days (closer to 3 given the geography). So, here's my plan,
unless there are significant objections:

* We give everyone an attendee shirt (purple since that was one of two colors
preferred and I heard objections to canary from some people).

* We also give "staff" shirts (black) to everyone who deserves a "you helped us
out" shirt of any variety.

* The cost of the extra shirts will be partially or fully offset by selling
extra shirts for $10 to those who want them. We could collect pre-orders on a
wiki page, sell on-site on Debian Day, etc, depending on how much we want to
deal with the hassle of on-site merchandise sales. If we restrict the sales to
Debian Day only I think the hassle of doing it on-site for the one day is
tolerable given the probable benefit.

* I already know one of our sponsors wants 10 extra shirts, which at a price of
$10 pays for roughly 15 other shirts beyond those 10. I may buy a couple
myself. I think that we should order 600 shirts, which includes the 435 which
Marga calculated we need plus 165 for sales (including the 12 I just
mentioned). I am told by Joerg, Moray, and Steven Gran that in past years where
we've sold shirts, we've sold 150-200, and at DebConf6 we had to do several
printings and still ran out, so this is realistic.

* If any people receiving a "staff" shirt don't want their normal attendee
shirt, or if any attendees don't want their normal shirt, they can give it to
us unworn to include in the sale at the $10 price, to help our budget.

If at least one or two people say they like this idea and nobody objects to it
by the time I go to sleep tonight (not before 04:30 UTC / 12:30am NYC time), I
will place the order with Gaby, and will pay her tonight or tomorrow depending
on feasibility. If nobody gives an opinion either way by 16:30 UTC / 12:30pm
NYC tomorrow, I'll go ahead at that point given the urgency.

Thanks for caring, everyone, even if it causes tensions! :)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debconf.org

P.S. - If you gave your thoughts on IRC, please also give them in an on-list
opinions on this.