[Debconf-team] Extra money we forgot we had

Hi everyone!

I know I'm perpetually optimistic, but in this case I have physical evidence to
back it up. At the end of DebConf9, we had a bunch of leftover physical
currency in euros, which I counted and brought back to the US for DebConf10's
use, intending to convert it to USD once we got our local bank account set up.
I did tell Michael the total amount of euros in this cash surplus, but
according to him that sum did not get included in budget.ods's DC9 surplus
estimate of $70000. I just counted it again, and the grand total is:

€3935 !!

According to Google's current exchange rate, which is slightly but not
drastically better than the one we're likely to get, that's equivalent to
$4939. I will get this converted and deposited into our primary DC10 bank
account on Tuesday, which due to the Independence Day holiday weekend is the
next work day for banks here.

None of this is to say "let's waste money now that this extra chunk exists,"
but merely a good sign that we will be that much more likely to run a smaller
deficit or some nonzero surplus instead of a larger deficit. (It also doesn't
change the fact that we'd need to request and receive some money from Debian
if we want to pay for most or all of the travel sponsorship requested by Group
B.)

See you on Monday!

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debconf.org

P.S. - According to the notes I brought home with me from Spain, I've managed
to lose not more than €20 of the DC9 euro bills marked under "Other DebConf
Cash Carried", or maybe less if I had miscounted in the rush to catch my train
out of Cáceres, out of a written total of €3955 in bills. That category of my
notes also includes €11.15 in coins whose location I don't know, but the banks
wouldn't accept euro coins here I don't think, anyway. I'm happy to donate at
least €31.15 to DebConf to compensate for the minor losses.

P.P.S. - I also have noted on that sheet a total of €80 in bills, €2.75 in
coins, and 10 Brazilian centavos (!) as payment for 24 participants in the Old
Town tours, and also some tips with the total indicated as "3€, 2€, or
whatever". I'm not 100% sure where this money ended up, but I did have to leave
before the very end of the conference, so it may have stayed behind.