[Debconf-team] DC10 banner discussion summary

Hi,

Brian Gupta and I just met in person to brainstorm and develop a plan of action
about DC10 banners. (We were going to visit or chat with a banner store, but
they closed up early today to go to do an installation.)

We have a summary of the meeting on the whiteboard at the following URL:

http://whiteboard.debian.net/dc10banners.txt (s/txt/wb/ to edit)

That page will continue to evolve as we work on banner prep. In order to keep
this email self-contained, I'm pasting below the current version of it.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debconf.org

Shots of the banner behind the speaker in the main DebConf9 talk room:

https://gallery.debconf.org/v/debconf9/trifolio6/IMG_0269.JPG.html
https://gallery.debconf.org/v/debconf9/trifolio6/IMG_0308.JPG.html
https://gallery.debconf.org/v/debconf9/trifolio6/IMG_0421r.JPG.html
https://gallery.debconf.org/v/debconf9/trifolio6/IMG_0522r.JPG.html
https://gallery.debconf.org/v/debconf9/trifolio6/IMG_0551r.JPG.html

Shot of the lobby banner in DebConf9 (as part of a google summer of code group photo):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mphjMxzpSpo/SpSAfoDIqUI/AAAAAAAAAB0/RIaAGIbQQOo/s1600-h/dfdcbkwm_47gt3bf3cw_b.jpg

Questions to ask banner printing companies (thanks to Damyan for initial thoughts):
-------------

 * what are the dimensions of the printable area of the printer.
   For example, you may print on a sheet 1m×2m, but the printing
   machine may be able to cover only part of that with ink, say
   0.90m×1.90m
   Also ask about any reserved space used for attaching the banner
   (holes, frames, whatever will be used)
 * are there any restrictions on the colors used (probably none);
   do they prefer CMYK or RGB color-space (probably fine with either).
 * in what format do they want the file submitted to them. Most take
   PDF just fine, but you never know.

All in all, none of the above is utterly fatal, as most printers are
able to shrink/enlarge the dimensions or convert the colors of the
input image. Having the information would help you get the result you
intented, though, avoiding any side effects of image scaling or color
chewing.

Banners we need:
-------------
- Conference lobby (Bronze+)
   1 x 3'x6' or 4'x7'
- Banner behind talk podiums (Gold+, i.e. just HP? what to do about how few gold+?)
   3 x ~4'x7'

Considerations:
---------------
- White background is simplest and satisfactory, though not mandatory
- Full-color images
- A way to attach them (in the past we've used holes in the banners' edges/corners)
- Something to attach them to (stands? bulletin boards? walls? nail/thumbtacks/string?)

Action plan:
[Note: MB == the banner store we're currently looking at.]

1. Brian emails -team to solicit designers to help with layout
2. Brian emails -team and anto (via a spanish speaker) requesting feedback on our list of questions, and action plan for banner. Basically looking for more questions for the printers (to be added to the list in this wb)
3. Jimmy calls MB on Saturday Jun 26 to find out their location (may not be open Sat, if so will call Sunday/Monday)
4. Jimmy and at least one other person (e.g. Brian, Hans) have the first in-depth contact with MB, either in person or on the phone
5. Status check-in and determining next steps