Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf10 scheduling is available

Quoting Clint Adams (schizo@debian.org):
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:39:35PM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> > Please note that it is very likely that I switch the Cheese and Wine
> > party into a "Beers of the World" party or "My Beer Is Better Than
> > Yours" party.
>
> Not both?

After a long discussion with Jimmy on IRC, he convinced me that we can
probably still manage to import some "decent" cheese through US
customs.

What's definitely OK are "fully cured cheese". Of course, the given
examples are emmenthal, parmesan, etc. While being definitely good
cheeses when carefully chosen, these do not fit my own definition of
decent cheese (that are closer to stinky pieces of "half-cured"
cheese: camembert is the most known example, but we can mention
Epoisses, Maroilles, Reblochon, Roquefort, several of my pet goat
cheeses.....I guess all these fit in the "half-cured" category as
defined by US customs...."half-cured" being where the line is drawn,
more or less).

Information is really hard to get. Of course, official information
exists but is non intelligible to standard humans. So, you're left
with information floating around and, finally, to the decision of the
customs officer is you check the "import food" box on the "194w" form.

I'm ready to try importing my own usual kilogram of "decent"
cheese. The question becomes: will enough other people be able to do
the same? From my experience, quite few and that can be not enough for
a good cheese party.

Apparently, though, finding good (read french, italian, swiss...)
cheese in NYC could be possible as long as one spots the right
shop. So a good help from the local crowd would be by trying to find
the good address where people could be directed to if they want to
contribute to the C&W party....but didn't bring the required
material. Something close enough to Columbia would be perfect. This is
New York City, I guess that can be done.

Still, I think that adding a "Beer Of The World And Mine Is Better
Than Yours" option is certainly a good way to make it better...and
that fits the recent actuality of a certain mailing list which we
shouldn't leak about here.