[Debconf-team] Fwd: number of talks to be accepted?

Hi folks--

Without concrete figures from the venue side of things yet, the talks
team is looking to officially approve around 78 talks.  Ana put together
a good back-of-the-envelope guess at what seems likely to be feasible,
which you can see in the attached e-mails.

Any other perspectives on the reasonableness of this initial estimate?
And how might debian open day ("debian day"?  my terminology is fuzzy)
factor into this?

Any thoughts about the idea of a daily all-group event (well, all-group
might be pushing it, but at least whoever's awake and attending talks)?

	--dkg
--- Begin Message ---
Hola,

Looking at the number of submissions we got and how much talks we should
accept, I have done a small estimate.

The conference last 7 days but we do not have talks one day (daytrip),
I do not know how many talk rooms we'll have but I assume a couple of them.
Last year we have a maximum of 7 events per room (one hour per event).
This give us:

6 days * 2 rooms * 7 events = 84 events.

Last year, we have a keynote event every day (first talk in the afternoon),
that means 6 talks less (78).

So what about accepting ~78 talks talks? We have currently 107 submissions,
but about 10 of them are not talk submission, they are social events that just
needs scheduling.

Finally, I hope we have at least a third room to schedule all the "last minute"
track.  Also note I have not considered here the Debian Open Day (I have not idea
about its status).

What do you think?

Ana

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Ana--

Thanks for doing this analysis!  I think this touches on venue issues
too; would you mind if we took the discussion public to debconf-team@ ?

On 05/25/2010 02:15 PM, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> Looking at the number of submissions we got and how much talks we should
> accept, I have done a small estimate.
>
> The conference last 7 days but we do not have talks one day (daytrip),
> I do not know how many talk rooms we'll have but I assume a couple of them.
> Last year we have a maximum of 7 events per room (one hour per event).
> This give us:
>
> 6 days * 2 rooms * 7 events = 84 events.

this sounds like a reasonable estimate.

> Last year, we have a keynote event every day (first talk in the afternoon),
> that means 6 talks less (78).

we're not calling them keynotes this time around, but i like the
scheduling idea of trying to have a widely-targetted talk (in a bigger
room?) every day, or at least every other day.  Seems like it might give
more cohesion to the conference.

> So what about accepting ~78 talks talks? We have currently 107 submissions,
> but about 10 of them are not talk submission, they are social events that just
> needs scheduling.

as long as the social events don't happen during the daytime window i'm
assuming we plan for talks, this makes sense.

> Finally, I hope we have at least a third room to schedule all the "last minute"
> track.  Also note I have not considered here the Debian Open Day (I have not idea
> about its status).

i don't know about the Debian Open Day situation either.  Anyone else?

Thanks again for the good estimates, Ana!

	--dkg

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 04:46:38PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> Thanks for doing this analysis!  I think this touches on venue issues
> too; would you mind if we took the discussion public to debconf-team@ ?

Please, go ahead.

> > Last year, we have a keynote event every day (first talk in the afternoon),
> > that means 6 talks less (78).
>
> we're not calling them keynotes this time around, but i like the
> scheduling idea of trying to have a widely-targetted talk (in a bigger
> room?) every day, or at least every other day.  Seems like it might give
> more cohesion to the conference.

I do not care too much about the name neither. But we already have falling
under this category at least "Bits from the DPL".  And if organized, the
"Lightning Talks". BTW, is there any volunteer for this one?

> > So what about accepting ~78 talks talks? We have currently 107 submissions,
> > but about 10 of them are not talk submission, they are social events that just
> > needs scheduling.
>
> as long as the social events don't happen during the daytime window i'm
> assuming we plan for talks, this makes sense.

We should find some way of marking the social events in penta.
At least the "group picture" will happen in the daytime, but it should not
need more than 30 min.

Ana