Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] Thanking our sponsors

On Tue, 25 May 2010 10:57:29 -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@zhevny.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 09:37:55PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Pablo Duboue <pablo.duboue@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > A long while somebody in #debconf-team asked if we can have plain
> > > t-shirts available for sale without sponsor logos.
> >
> > I share that wish.
> >
> > > That is of course a valid question and I would like to share my
> > > feelings about it: it would be a very bad idea ;-)
> >
> > <snip excellent analysis>
> >
> > I'd like to reiterate a downside to the sponsor logos mentioned by Clint:
> >
> > http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20100521.021314.53087a99.en.html
>
> But, how many of the existing sponsors who have contributed find value
> in having their logos displayed?

My guess is the great DrDub, who has been doing an amazingly significant
amount of work in discussing with sponsors and potential sponsors has
discussed with them the relative merits of donating, and perhaps the
perk of the logo on the shirt is part of that sell.

It would be interesting to know if he has heard one way or the other
From the sponsors, if cared about that or not. I'm certainly no monetary
sponsor, and probably should not use myself as a model, but if I were, I
would be sponsoring Debconf because my company benefits significantly
From Debian as a distribution. Either because it is a core business, or
makes up critical internal infrastructure. The existence of a logo, or
not, would not matter to me because I saved 10 gazillion dollars because
we switched to Debian, and I want to keep that savings around.

> -edrz (who never wears clothing with any visible printing in public ...
> I only wear my conference shirts when sleeping. That's irrelevant to
> this discussion because it doesn't matter to me whether the printing
> includes corporate logos or not. I just prefer to avoid being "read" or
> acting as a billboard for anyone or anything but myself. But, I'm most
> likely a very irrelevant corner case in that regard. I just
> parenthetically mention this to say that I am personally not invested in
> either side of the logo-ed vs logo-less DebConf shirt debate.)

I wouldn't put yourself so far in the corner. I feel similarly.

micah