Re: [Debconf-team] Talk selection: session chairs

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:29:42AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Richard Darst dijo [Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 06:25:05PM -0500]:

I like the ideas brought up by Richard and Gunnar and would like to give
some comments form a past member of talk selection / scheduler team.
When preparing the schedule I always tried to group talks according to
topics to enable people who are interested in a specific topic to stay
in one session room for a certain time and find some continuos time for
coding if they are not interested in a certain topic.  This worked
somehow but it would probably better if some topics would be defined
beforehand and people would be able to assign an event application to a
certain topic.  I doubt that this would work for DebConf - but I would
like to rise this problem:  *If* we want to build topic related
sessions it is hard to put all the different events into similarly
shaped (according to the number of talks) sessions we probably need
to define some topics before the application process starts.

The second thought I want to bring in is the (un)famous official /
inoffical talk concept.  Last year I officially annouonced that I'm not
volunteering for the scheduler job if this completely confusing concept
is not dropped (you might like to search the debconf mailing list
archives for some alternative ideas we discussed - I'm currently to busy
to do so, sorry).  This concept just sucks and is just confusing.  But
if we end up with some kind of "rating" of the events (whatever it might
be) I would like to mention in regard to the session-idea: My principle
of putting somehow related talks in the two categories we had was to
have one "session" (day or half a day) with the "official" talks of one
topic and have another session with the inofficial talks to make sure
all people who are interested are able to attend both.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

PS: Currently I'm not sure whether I will attend DebConf and from todays
    perspective I think "probably not".  I'd volunteer to work in the
    talk selection committee and I might help out with scheduling.  I
    will definitely not be available for any scheduling task if I will
    be not physically at DebConf.  I learned that this task costs to
    much time I'm unable to spend in working hours.

--
http://fam-tille.de