Re: [Debconf-team] Talk selection: session chairs

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:29:42AM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> I tend to side towards the first scheme. I think it is an extra burden
> on us as organizers, but not an unnecessarily high one, and quite
> compatible with the tasks we already perform.

That's why I was thinking to get people from those groups, (e.g.,
debian-installer, python, etc) to be the session chairs, not one of
the usual suspects from the debconf-team organization.  Of course,
they could overlap, but it could be a way to get more people
involved for future years...

(and, if no one from a team stepped up, I wouldn't think we should
step up ourselves and manage it for them, just group them with
independent talks)

> Just as a final remark: Time. I have mostly seen each of a topic
> panels' talk to be way smaller than the regular DebConf talk (i.e. 20
> minutes instead of an hour). This is needed because otherwise a
> continuous four-hour session (even with a break in between), with very
> little topic change, can be too tiring. This might be a put-off for
> people used to our way of working.

That's a good point... the all-independent system wouldn't have had
too many instances where a person had to go to back to back talks for
a whole half-day.  Something to consider...

- Richard