Re: [Debconf-team] Open Day talks

Christian Perrier dijo [Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 07:12:09AM +0200]:
> We'll probably end up with a mix. What I would really strongly insist
> on is for people who would give their talks in English and are native
> speakers to make a great effort to be as intelligible as possible
> (speak sloooooowly, avoid idiotisms and the like, simplify the
> language down to airport English). ANother great help
> for the audience would be having slides in Spanish even though you
> give your talk in English (I did that once with the help of Niv Sardi
> who I shared the talk with and who translated all our slides to
> Spanish....we got a very positive feedback after the talk).
>
> Such way to do things is interesting because your audience who is
> *not* fluent in Spanish will have to really pay attention in order to
> follow what you're saying, instead of reading your slides and go bak
> to IRC chat...and those who are less fluent in en_FOO will have
> something to hang on when getting lost..:)

Umh, this idea can end up being messy and/or stupid and/or all of the
above, but...

We want talks to be amenable for non-English speakers and non-Spanish
speakers alike, right?

One possible solution is to have them all interruptranslated (i.e. the
speaker and the translator say a phrase at a time). We could, if the
facilities are OK for that, sit people in two different rooms, and
have a simultaneous translation. It is a tough job, yes, but not
something we cannot do ourselves (i.e. I have done English→Spanish
translation a couple of times).

Of course, some OpenDay talks will be targetted at locals, and we
won't need to translate into English. But at least _some_ talks can
benefit from this arrangement.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23