Re: [Debconf-team] RFC announcement: DebConf10 to take place in New York City, USA

ok, proposed wordings, because why not do it before I go to sleep?:

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:34:34AM -0500, Richard Darst wrote:
> hello,
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:06:47PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
>
> > Hello, world.
> >
> > The DebConf committee decided that DebConf10, the Debian developer
> > conference of 2010, will take place in New York City, USA. The exact
> > dates have yet to be determined. All the available details may be
> > found on the bid pages [0].

The DebConf Global Team is pleased to announce that that DebConf10,
the Debian developer conference of 2010, will take place in New York
City, USA. The exact dates have yet to be determined, but will be
between June and mid-August.  Available details, as well as
information on volunteering or sponsorship, may be found on the
conference page [0].

Debian is a grassroots community worldwide producing the free and open
source computer operating system based on GNU/Linux.  As you may know
Debian GNU/Linux is well known for its dedication to free software,
inclusiveness, and widely known as the base of the popular Ubuntu and
Knoppix distributions.

( First paragraph mention volunteering/sponsorship.  Of course, DC9 is
the bigger issue right now, but if it's sent to local organizations it
would be good to let it be known that they can get involved.  We can
direct people to help with DC9 if they would be willing to help with
that.  The part ", as well as ... sponsorship," can be removed for
internal debian distribution or for organizations which may sponsor
DC9.

Second paragraph can be removed when sending to Debian-related lists.
Left in when sent for wider distribution.  Adapted from Jimmy's words
from several months ago. )

> What's the expected audience of this?  If it's going to be sent to
> select local organizations (e.g., Columbia media office), it could
> have a bit more info.  Also maybe make it say "All the available
> details, including information on volunteering, ...".  (I can make all
> these revisions tomorrow after I wake up.)
>
> Also, can this link to http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10 instead?
> I started making that page useful, it should be in better shape by the
> time you send it out (or soon after).
>
> > In a three-and-a-half hour marathon meeting, the NYC bid won over
> > bids from Boston and Quito, Ecuador, but it was a close match.
> > DebConf organiser Margarita Manterola describes the challenge of the
> > meeting: "the three proposals were so well prepared and so
> > thoroughly considered that any of the three venues would have been
> > great for DebConf10. It was very hard to make a decision, but in the
> > end, New York was a step ahead of the other teams."
> >
> > In eleven years of DebConf history, this will be the first time
> > that the Debian developer conference takes place in the United
> > States of America, which had been avoided in previous years due to
> > visa and other immigration issues. The NYC team had addressed those
> > issues from the very start and submitted a very convincing bid.
> >
> > "We're very excited that the global team has decided to host DebConf
> > in New York next year. It's been a long time coming for a US based
> > DebConf, and we will work tirelessly to make it an exciting event
> > for all," NYC team members Richard Darst and Brian Gupta say. "We
> > believe that New York City contains some of the best of the United
> > States, and we hope to showcase it for the Debian world."
>
> Could you make this say "Jimmy Kaplowitz, Brian Gupta, and Richard
> Darst" ?  It actually has bits from all of us (and either way it
> should have all of us, I think...).

"We're very excited that the global team has decided to host DebConf
in New York next year. It's been a long time coming for a US based
DebConf, and we will work tirelessly to make it an exciting event for
all," NYC team members Jimmy Kaplowitz, Brian Gupta, and Richard Darst
say. "We believe that New York City contains some of the best of the
United States, and we hope to showcase it for the Debian world."

(no changes beyond what I said above.)

> > The DebConf organisers congratulate the future organisers of
> > DebConf10, and thank all three teams for their efforts.
> >
> > The venue decision for DebConf11 will be made in twelve months.
> > Proposals have to be submitted by 31 December 2009 to be eligible.
> >
> > 0. http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/NewYork

0. http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10

(as above)

- Richard