Re: [Debconf-team] RFC announcement: DebConf10 to take place in New York City, USA

hello,

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:06:47PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:

> Hello, world.
>
> The DebConf committee decided that DebConf10, the Debian developer
> conference of 2010, will take place in New York City, USA. The exact
> dates have yet to be determined. All the available details may be
> found on the bid pages [0].

What's the expected audience of this?  If it's going to be sent to
select local organizations (e.g., Columbia media office), it could
have a bit more info.  Also maybe make it say "All the available
details, including information on volunteering, ...".  (I can make all
these revisions tomorrow after I wake up.)

Also, can this link to http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10 instead?
I started making that page useful, it should be in better shape by the
time you send it out (or soon after).

> In a three-and-a-half hour marathon meeting, the NYC bid won over
> bids from Boston and Quito, Ecuador, but it was a close match.
> DebConf organiser Margarita Manterola describes the challenge of the
> meeting: "the three proposals were so well prepared and so
> thoroughly considered that any of the three venues would have been
> great for DebConf10. It was very hard to make a decision, but in the
> end, New York was a step ahead of the other teams."
>
> In eleven years of DebConf history, this will be the first time
> that the Debian developer conference takes place in the United
> States of America, which had been avoided in previous years due to
> visa and other immigration issues. The NYC team had addressed those
> issues from the very start and submitted a very convincing bid.
>
> "We're very excited that the global team has decided to host DebConf
> in New York next year. It's been a long time coming for a US based
> DebConf, and we will work tirelessly to make it an exciting event
> for all," NYC team members Richard Darst and Brian Gupta say. "We
> believe that New York City contains some of the best of the United
> States, and we hope to showcase it for the Debian world."

Could you make this say "Jimmy Kaplowitz, Brian Gupta, and Richard
Darst" ?  It actually has bits from all of us (and either way it
should have all of us, I think...).

> The DebConf organisers congratulate the future organisers of
> DebConf10, and thank all three teams for their efforts.
>
> The venue decision for DebConf11 will be made in twelve months.
> Proposals have to be submitted by 31 December 2009 to be eligible.
>
> 0. http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/NewYork

http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10 as above

Thanks for your effort to get this out,

- Richard