Re: [Debconf-team] DC10: Question for bid teams: smoking

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:25:23PM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
> What are the regulations about smoking relevant to each of the bid
> venues, the proposed accommodation, and the bars/restaurants in their
> local areas?

As in the case of the Boston bid, smoking is by law not allowed in any New York
restaurants, bars, or most buildings open to the public (including all
potential NYC venues and accomodations), but it's very common for smokers to
step outside briefly for a smoke (one place we're considering using requests
that you go at least 6m away from certain buildings but otherwise allows
smoking outdoors on their property). For those who pay for their own hotel room
some place other than the group accomodations, the hotel can allow them to
smoke within their own room depending on the hotel's policies.

Drugstores and newsstands in NYC do sell cigarettes to anyone who is at least
18 years old, and such places are extremely common everywhere in NYC.  For any
alcohol or tobacco purchases in the US (including both NYC and Boston),
foreigners will probably want to have their passport in case of an ID check,
since most store clerks will be unfamiliar with other non-US forms of ID.
Usually they won't check your ID if they think your age is at least a certain
number of years above the legal minimum, but it's subjective and they could.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org