Re: [Debconf-team] talk rejection

Hello Gaudenz,

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 01:20:30AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Hi
>
> When I logged in today into penta to reconfirm my attendance I was a bit
> surprised to see that my talk has been silently rejected. I thought that
> I would at least receive an explanation by mail if the talk gets
> rejected. At the moment I don't know why the talk was rejected.

I agree, we have been pretty busy and didn't have a chance to send out
emails yet.  We were hoping for more personal replies, as opposed to
a blanket announcement which could gave gone out faster.

Basically, the talk committee used "rejected" as a synonym for
"Accepted in unofficial", because anyone can give a talk or
discussions if they would like, provided resources are available.  As
time gets closer, you can schedule an open timeslot.  (It's
unfortunate we haven't had time to explain this yet.)  The talk
committee can hopefully provide some common reasons for rejecting
talks, but it included at least things not closely enough debian
related or too specialized.  Some of these talks would or could be
accepted in other categories.

There may yet be a reevaluation by someone on the talks committee (I'm
not on it).  But rest assured that you can find a time to discuss your
work with other interested attendees at a scheduled time.

(note: some unofficial-track talks were rejected, I hear - I think
this still means "can be done as time allots", confusingly enough.
I'll prod talk committee members to explain more.)

- Richard