[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf10 decision process?


On Freitag, 2. Januar 2009, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> What decision process and timeline do people want for DebConf10?

Thanks for bringing this up!

> At 
> DebConf8 we decided to make a decision by March 1 if possible and by April
> 1 in any case, but that still leaves lots of process details to figure out.


> I am under the impression that the call for proposals closed at the end of
> 2009, meaning that Margarita Island, Venezuela; New York City, USA; and
> Boston, USA are the bids. Correct me if I am wrong or left any out.

AFAICS this is correct, please speak up now if you do think this is correct.

> I am hesitant to propose any detailed process for how we should decide,
> since I am one of the people leading the NYC bid and I don't want to have
> the process appear or actually be biased. I'll just say that, if there is
> going to be only one decision meeting, late February would be a good time,
> and if there are multiple meetings, spreading them out through February
> (and late January if necessary) would make sense. This will allow all bids
> to gather additional bits of data, such as the price specifics the NYC bid
> is currently gathering and the MIT faculty sponsor the Boston bid is
> working on.

I'm slightly in favor of having multiple meetings, for one to allow some time 
in the steps being taken and secondly, to (mostly) have DebConf10 meetings 
together with Debconf9 meetings. 

For example, I think it would be good to have a meeting on, say, January the 
26th, where the DebConf10 bidding cities propose their bid and explain the 
status, so that we can see whether we really have three complete bids. At the 
beginning of that meeting I'd like to see some DebConf9 topics on the agenda, 
probably with a time limit of 30min. 

That way we could limit the number of DebConf meetings a bit.

Assuming that we come up with questions after hearing about the stati I would 
suggest to plan another meeting with more status updates in February, again 
combined with a DebConf9 meeting.

And then in March we'll have a decicision meeting for DebConf10 without any 
DebConf9 topics on the agenda.

If you think this is sensible we should come up with concrete dates and 
document then in http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf9/Meetings and on 
debconf-announce and debian-devel-announce.


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part.

Reply to: