Re: [Debconf-team] Roaming VoIP was not possible

On 11484 March 1977, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:28:05AM +0200, Amaya wrote:
>> Faidon Liambotis wrote:
>> > Oh and FWIW, I wasn't using DebConf's VoIP but my own, but this
>> > wouldn't make a difference, it was one big single network.
>> FWIIW, I could roam during long scp sessions, even in the elevator and
>> between floors, without loosing connectivity.

> This and other comments make me wonder which cards/drivers worked so
> well. (as my laptop's internal card sucked, but my pcmcia card was much
> more well behaved).

The free intel chipset driver for 3945g models, iwl3945, is crap
there. it just doesnt roam at all. (Kernel 2.6.25.8). The binary only
driver you need to use for older kernels worked fine, the free one just
doesnt, needing a "ifdown wlan ; iwconfig wlan ap "any" ; ifup wlan"
every time you need to use a different AP. And then sometimes even that
didnt work and needed a modprobe -r iwl3945.

--
bye, Joerg
<exa> yes, I'm annoying.