Re: [Debconf-team] Talk scheduling, volunteers needed

2008/5/6, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@ganneff.de>:
>  we need one or more volunteers who are willing to do the scheduling of
>  our talks. If multiple people volunteer: You need to be able to work
>  together online (ie. IRC) on it, mail will most likely have too huge
>  delays.

I'd volunteer to meet in IRC meetings, but I'm not hanging around in
IRC regularly.

>  Now, the task you would commit to:
>
>   - you get a list of talks, together with a list of speakers and their
>    (hopefully correct) arrival/departure dates.

If the task is "getting a list" I feel perfectly competent - feel free to
flood my mailbox with any list. ;-))

>   - you have to find a schedule for those, that fits all speakers and all
>    the rest of DebConf, while trying to avoid scheduling possibly
>    conflicting events at the same time, and trying to guess how many
>    people might want to watch a talk, so you chose the right room.

I could try to do good gesses so you can count me into the team of
schedule creators.

>   - you have to start soon (we are nearly ready to announce the selected
>    events) and the work will end at the time DebConf ends.
>    I repeat: This task will follow you from now until DebConf ends! But
>    the *main* work will be within the next weeks.

Thanks for the warning.  I hope it is not ignorant if I try to be in the boat
despite of it.

>   - you should have done this task a year ago already, so people could
>    have selected the talks they want to watch during DC7 already. :)

Well, this would disqualify myself because I was not involved  in DC7
organisation.  Take my mail as "offer for help if needed".

>  Mark, who did the scheduling for DC7, volunteered to teach you "all the
>  nice details people should keep in mind when doing this work" from his
>  experience as one who already had the glory to do this work. Or, in
>  other words: Last years victim will tell you his mistakes, so that you can
>  make new ones instead. :)

... or improve the old ones? ;-)
Well, I'm aware that this seat is kind of hot and yoou can not fit all
peoples expectations.

Question: Are there any experiences with  tools like time table planers?

Kind regards

          Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de