Re: [Debconf-team] Update on sponsorship?

On 11-12-2008 12:13, Margarita Manterola wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Michael Schultheiss
> <schultmc@debian.org> wrote:
>> Margarita Manterola wrote:
>>> Rather they were in the America lot, which should have been covered by
>>> SPI long ago.  Hasn't it been done?
>> The only people I'm aware of that were in the SPI lot were the 4 US
>> attendees being reimbursed.  If this is not the case, please e-mail me
>> at treasurer@spi-inc.org.
>
> So, this has obviously been a communication problem.  All the people
> from the Americas (as in the whole continent, not just the US) should
> have been paid with the money at SPI.
>
> Jörg, can you please send the names, amounts and account info to
> treasurer@spi-inc.org?

	Be aware that for Brazil it doesn't work quite like that. If
somebody got an international transfer in an individual account, they
will have to pay taxes (big painful taxes, in some cases close to 40%).

	At least, for Brazil, one of the best solutions would be to
check the amount that needs to be reimbursed, check the Brazilian pool
of Debian and DebConf money, if it is enough (and probably it is not)
than OK (but we will need to start thinking about get more money in
Brazilian pool for next years). If it is not enough, SPI could transfer
the money to ASL.org and then we took care of reimbursing people inside
Brazil. I can check the "pool" if you want. and of course, I can help
with the process and bureocracy.

	I'm not sure how much will be the taxes for the SPI->ASL.org
transfer, I know that we have other alternatives, specially if somebody
is coming to Brazil and could bring the money in cash (or traveler's
check) so we can exchange it here and make the deposit without any
taxes.

	I know that while Josh Berkus were SPI treasurer, he was
looking into alternatives to get money inside Brazil, because
PostgreSQL-BR is also using ASL.org to handle its assets. I'm cc:ing
Josh (he may help) and other relevant people to help in the Brazilian
case. We have something like PayPal here, but I'm unsure if it will
work for SPI.

	All in all, we should at least send an statement about the
actual status of what's going on with the reimbursement process for
the affected people.

Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)