Re: [Debconf-team] Minutes from today's meeting

Hi,

On Dec 18, 2007 9:42 AM, Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I like Marga's suggestion, but as I said in the meeting maybe the money we are
> > getting for this $10*250 = $2500  is not worth it for all the hassle it'll be:
> > check everybody has paid, print invoices for some people, how to bill it
> > legally, etc

> Indeed, the amount of money is not worth the hassle.  The suggestion
> was only to try to prevent abuses, not to get a considerable sum from
> this.

Maybe we can think in a scheme where everybody pays a bigger sum (like
$100, which saving some exceptions should be reachable by all) and
then they get their refund at debconf if they get sponsored
lodging+food. That could give us a bigger buffer while we get the
sponsor's money and makes people think twice before confirming for
debconf. Not having a monetary block makes it all too easy to apply.
This obviously has the problem of the money transfers and all that
jazz.

> > So my suggestion is being stricter about the people who gets sponsored lodging
> > and food. If the name does not ring a bell (google site:debian.org and get some
> > useful contribution) just say no, and give this people a week or so to mail back
> > to the sponsoring team enumerating their contributions to Debian...

> * Individual: intended for Students or Freelancers who are active
> contributors to Debian, and can't afford to pay the cost of attending
> to the conference. Cost: 0 or a small sum.

That is a good point (about everybody paying at least a small sum). I
am scared of people coming to debconf just because it's free. Even if
Mar del Plata is not Buenos Aires, is close enough.

> All of this is based on linux.conf.au registration categories
> (https://linux.conf.au/register). I have previously said all this and
> got a little input.  More input is still welcome.

+1

> * I intend to do real work during DebCamp.  Those that sign up for
> this category will be ask to state exactly what they plan to do.
> Cost: 0.
> * I intend to mainly hang out with other Debianites and socialize
> during DebCamp. Cost: 250 USD.

+1

--
Martín Ferrari