Re: [Debconf-team] Minutes from today's meeting

Hi!

> I like Marga's suggestion, but as I said in the meeting maybe the money we are
> getting for this $10*250 = $2500  is not worth it for all the hassle it'll be:
> check everybody has paid, print invoices for some people, how to bill it
> legally, etc

Indeed, the amount of money is not worth the hassle.  The suggestion
was only to try to prevent abuses, not to get a considerable sum from
this.

> So my suggestion is being stricter about the people who gets sponsored lodging
> and food. If the name does not ring a bell (google site:debian.org and get some
> useful contribution) just say no, and give this people a week or so to mail back
> to the sponsoring team enumerating their contributions to Debian...

I agree with this.

> Some people get their companies pay them the trip (lucky them!), and they
> are forced to get a hotel room and food for their own.
> I would create the "my employer pays but i want to be with the sponsored
> people" option, this people would pay their lodging and food, but would stay
> with the rest of the Debian folks. Maybe with the only advantage of being in
> the smaller rooms if they ask to.

Yes, we are definitely doing this.  I'll be preparing a mock-up page
of what I want people to see when they start their registration.  I
intend to have three categories (all of these are for DebConf, not
DebCamp).

* Individual: intended for Students or Freelancers who are active
contributors to Debian, and can't afford to pay the cost of attending
to the conference. Cost: 0 or a small sum.

* Professional: intended for professional employees that want to
participate in the conference paid by their company or by themselves.
Cost: USD 250 (maybe 300).  What they get: option to stay in smaller
rooms, extra goodies in their bag.  What their company gets:
logo+name+url in the "Companies that sent their employees" page.

* Corporate: intended to corporate people from companies that are
actively involved in Debian. Cost: USD 1000. What they get: bigger,
nicer rooms, another extra goodie in their bag. What their company
gets: logo in Sponsors section (size/category depending on the amount
of Corporate+Professional employees sent).

All of this is based on linux.conf.au registration categories
(https://linux.conf.au/register). I have previously said all this and
got a little input.  More input is still welcome.

> This option should be open to people who signs up for the conference very
> late and we should have already set a price for this in the registration.

Yes.  After 31st May, you can only sign up as Professional or Corporate.

> I guess I'm not the only one with the feeling that debcamp is a paid holiday
> before the conference for some people... So I think we should only sponsor
> DebCamp for people who is really going to do stuff (This is not so hard to
> know for most of the people...), and give the oportunity of being at debcamp
> just haging out with the people and paying your expenses for those days.
>
> This would mean have to ask for sponsored Debcamp (explaining what you are
> planning to do) and ask for sponsored Debconf (and explaining what you do in
> Debian).

I agree with this, although I'm not sure as to how to present the
options to the people, I think we should do this.  Maybe have 2
categories for DebCamp:

* I intend to do real work during DebCamp.  Those that sign up for
this category will be ask to state exactly what they plan to do.
Cost: 0.
* I intend to mainly hang out with other Debianites and socialize
during DebCamp. Cost: 250 USD.

> Btw, since I'm on it, we have to make clear in the registration form the
> sponsored days, last year some people believed they have bed from sunday to
> monday as well.

I think that however clear we make it, people will always want more.
Anyway, we'll try to make it clearer this time.

--
Besos,
Marga