[Debconf-team] Bid requesting mail - FIRST DRAFT

Ok, please tear this apart, but quick - We are six weeks away, lets
give enough time to the local teams!

So it is that time of the year again - the time of year we see people
arguing on why they want to host DebConf at their country.

Some of you have seen how Debianic are processes inside the Debconf
organization team - Some time ago, decisions just happened. Some time
later, huge flamefests were thrown and only the fittest survived. We
try to learn from our mistakes, however, and make our decision making
process easier to track, understand - and make it harder for people to
get bitter at the decisions taken.

During this last year, we had to develop a process to allow us to
judge, as objectively as possible, which of the proposed venues is
better equiped to host a Debconf. It includes a checklist [1] on the
incrastructure, on the available local team, and of the country/area
in general. We will host this document in Debconf's wiki, under the
Debconf 9 category [2].

We want to have the teams express their intent of hosting Debconf 9
before Debconf 7 starts, and to have a public session of them quickly
presenting their offer; in order to do this, we request from you
bidders to answer to our checklist and prepare a quick introduction by
June 16th (DebianDay). The documents will be made public so everybody
interested can compare the main bids (and single out missing points,
so they can be taken care of before the presentation). We will hold
the presentation session probably on Wednesday 20th. Unlike the
session we had at Debconf 6, this presentation should be quick, at
5-10 minutes per venue (we currently anticipate four running venues),
followed by a Q&A session. The final decision should be taken around
two months after Debconf 7.

Now, where will Debconf 9 be? We have a tradition that has become
policy: Debconf does not take place two years in a row at the same
continent, in order to make it easier for people from all over the
world to attend. As Debconf 8 will be in Argentina, Debconf 9
basically rules out America - It's time for Europe, Asia, Africa and
Oceania to be creative!

Anyway... Quick summary of what I said so far, if you are interested
in holding Debconf close to your home:

- NOW: Go to the location checklist [1], start filling the
  information. Start working on a short formal document describing the
  facilities you plan to host Debconf at.
- June 16: Final day to send the proposals to the Debconf 9 wiki.
- June 20: Short presentations, general open discussion with the
  Debconf 7 attendance.
- End of August / Beginning of September: Official decision is taken.

[1] http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/LocationCheckList

[2] http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf9

Greeetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23