Re: [Debconf-team] Some ideas for encouraging sponsors

Margarita Manterola dijo [Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 10:20:53AM -0300]:
> No, the idea was to produce the magazine BEFORE DebConf, and give it
> to attendees upon arrival.  We can have most of the content ready
> months before DebConf, add the schedule when it's ready and then print
> it.
>
> If we produce "Proceedings" each year, I don't see why we couldn't
> produce a magazine that replaces the proceedings.  Or, if we don't
> want to replace the proceedings, my idea would be just to include Ads
> in them.

I know different people have different views on this, but I feel the
target audience would be quite different. There is a lot of content
that can be duplicated - maybe even the proceedings can be a superset
of the magazine (if for anything, to cut the extra work of making two
complete publications).

IMHO, what we should offer to the sponsors is not exactly the space
for ads - I felt it much more important (again, recalling the YAPC
experience) having short descriptions of the sponsor, probably
provided by themselves, maybe including the sponsor's (current or
projected?) relation with Debian. Again, if this example serves the
purpose, I can scan and include the relevant section from YAPC's
material. (Or even better, I'll request it electronically from them -
I still have to reply to Tincho's mail, copying it to the YAPC
people).

> I never said the orga team should do it.  I have plenty of volunteers
> in the local team, that want to help but don't know how.  Not everyone
> can go looking for Sponsors or dealing with the ISP (which are our
> main TODO items right now).  Preparing a magazine is a fun task, it
> would allow not-so-techie people to help, and it would be useful to
> give something extra to our sponsors.

I like your idea about a magazine - But maybe targetting it to the
Argentinian crowd, to the sponsors themselves... I do hold the full
printed proceedings as a very good extra value - Maybe it is something
we could offer as a paid extra, if need to be so? For one, I'd gladly
pay for it.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23