Re: [Debconf-team] Some ideas for encouraging sponsors

Hi,

Excuse me for the stupidly long delay - Real Life has been taking its
toll (again!)  on me lately :-/

Martín Ferrari dijo [Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 12:58:31AM -0300]:
> > While reviewing possible argentinian sponsors, I realized that what we
> > give back to sponsors is too little.  So I came up with an idea (that
> > then turned out not to be that original):
>
> As a coincidence, two days ago we have a chat with Gunnar about the
> same lines, and I promised to mail -team, forgot, and now marga
> reminded me of that :)
>
> What we chatted about was the insight Gunnar adquired from YAPC::EU,
> which he attended in August. The starting point is the same: we
> realise that we don't give enough to our sponsors for their money.

And I'm copying this mail to three friends who were part of the great
YAPC team: Klaus Ita, Maximilain Attems (DD as well) and Thomas
Klausner.

YAPC guys: You might want to refer to this whole thread [1] for
further information

> > the conf, about Mar del Plata, about Argentina, DebConf schedule,
> > talks abstracts, etc.  And in this magazine include ads from the
> > sponsors.  The size and amount of the adds would depend on how much
> > the sponsor gave us, but we would still give a nice space to those
> > that didn't give that much.
>
> I think this is a very good idea, that could complement -or even
> replace- the proceedings we usually print. But knowing that the debian
> day would not be held in Mar del Plata, maybe another, smaller, piece
> should be prepared for that, as many sponsors (specially local or
> small) are likely to be much more interested in reaching people from
> DebianDay.

I know each community is different, and although not so distant... How
many people did expect full proceedings this year at YAPC? (I know I
complained about it ;-) ) Or, Debconf people: How many people
requested the proceedings this year?

> We were discussing this too, also some sponsors could be interested in
> having a "job fair" to recruit some geeks from the crowd. In CafeConf
> we've seen a stand from an outsourcing company (based in Buenos Aires)
> which was there with that intent. Intel came to mind too, with their
> big development center in Córdoba.

Even we can see Debconf and DebianDay as two separate things (which,
after all, they are!). We could have sponsors interested in (getting
known among, attracting, hiring) the local Debian-interested crowd,
sponsors interested in the Debian-involved people, or both...

> Also, we could continue having a few stands during debconf, like we
> had in dc7 with O'Reilly; which didn't hurt at all.

Stands don't hurt - but I'd like to know how did O'Reilly think it
fared for them. Running a stand is expensive for them (i.e. they had
to pay a week salary for somebody to sit there, get all their stuff
there and back, and... Of course, they were already sponsoring us, but
if we are to oficially offer stands, they should carry a cost - either
a fixed cost, or be part of a certain sponsor level and higher.

> As a final thing, Gunnar suggested forwarding this to some people from
> YAPC, that maybe can give us some hints. So Gunnar, it's up to you now
> :)

Not anymore! ;-)

[1] http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/thread/20071105.175908.b8f1e049.en.html

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23