Re: [Debconf-team] This weekend

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 11:27:30PM +0100, Mark Brown said:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 11:17:37PM +0100, Kevin Campbell wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 10:55:17PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>
> > > Are we ready? What's the plan - where are people staying, when are you
> > > turning up etc.?
>
> I should be there from ~7pm Friday until some time in the afternoon on
> Sunday.  No idea where I'm staying yet, though - I was going to book
> myself into a hotel or hostel somewhere convenient but was waiting for
> recommendations.

Sorry, I said I would get a short list out to people, but I was
demolishing a kitchen all weekend and it got missed in the chaos.  So, a
very short list off the top of my head:

The cheapest hotel I can find right now is The Holgate hotel:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/holgatebridgehotel.html?aid=303948;label=york-O*CgX*rC*9Z7a8uJzdBV3AS759689661;sid=e90e6c43c3443f63b65f8ef41288a71b;checkin=2007-08-03;checkout=2007-08-05
25pppn for a double room, and they appear to have rooms available for
this weekend.  Unfortunately, it is a bit far out the Holgate road.

The St. Denys Hotel:
has good reviews, from what I know, and is next door to me, so proximity
is pretty much guaranteed.  This:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/stdenyshotel.html?tab=1&error_url=%2Fhotel%2Fgb%2Fstdenyshotel.html%3Faid%3D311076%3Blabel%3Dhotel-113959-gb-gk6YcZRKP36LQ8hnvIz6ngS672147804%3Bsid%3De90e6c43c3443f63b65f8ef41288a71b%3B&do_availability_check=on&aid=311076&label=hotel-113959-gb-gk6YcZRKP36LQ8hnvIz6ngS672147804&sid=e90e6c43c3443f63b65f8ef41288a71b&checkin_monthday=3&checkin_year_month=2007-8&checkout_monthday=5&checkout_year_month=2007-8
says ~40pppn for a double room.

There is a Travelodge on Piccadilly St. just up the road that I am told
costs ~32pppn, but I can't seem to find anything about availability.
There are of course other chain hotels, but they are almost all further
or more expensive than what you'll get from the smaller hotels or B&Bs.

There are a variety of B&Bs, of course, but I know very little about any
of them, unfortunately.  A pretty good list can be found here:
http://www.yorkshire.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-3F57FEF5-774EAA80/ytb/hs.xsl/yorkshire-hotels-and-b-and-b.htm
(I searched for 2 miles from York, 30pppn).

There is a hostel in a lovely old building about 10 minutes walk from me
and 15 from Mark at
http://www.yorkbackpackers.co.uk/
They are 14-15 pppn, including breakfast.  I don't know anything about
the inside, just that the outside is a nice looking building.

My parents are, unfortunately, intent on being in town that weekend.
I have tried to shuffle them off to see a friend in Hull, but apparently
the rain has changed his house into the middle of a small lake, and he
is strangely reluctant to have house guests.  I can still sleep 2 or so,
if people don't mind a slightly uncomfortable couch, recliner, or the
floor of the living room.

Sorry about the late and abridged list.  See you all soon,
|  Stephen Gran                  | We just joined the civil hair patrol!   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |