Re: [Debconf-team] Transport within the UK

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 04:33:32PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>Gah, things are getting complicated...
>
>We have quite a few odds and sods that need transport up to EDI for
>Debconf that I know of:
>
> * me (!) and Ben (IIRC)
> * d-uk Ts / maybe debconf Ts
> * Dave Noble has a mixing desk and assorted kit that I've offered to take
> * (maybe) some switches / other network gear
> * (I'm sure there'll be other stuff)
>
>I'm expecting to head up the first Saturday for Debcamp and to help
>set up, either in a car or a hired van so I can bring the appropriate
>stuff with me. I was also maybe thinking about hiring a minibus for
>that trip, but I don't think it's worth it/justified at this point.
>
>BUT...
>
>I'm flying to Wales on Sat 23rd, then thinking of heading straight
>home to Cambridge on the 24th. That makes a bit of a mess of my
>initial plans. ThDaniel!
>
>What other things are likely to need transport up to Edinburgh for DC?
>Who else is likely to be driving, and will they be able to accommodate
>stuff on the way back? In fact, if it comes to the crunch - can I
>scrounge a lift for me and some stuff up on the first Sat so I don't
>need to pay for a hired vehicle? Obviously, I don't really want to
>abandon my car up in EDI... :-)

Updates:

I spoke with mhy and sgran about this over the weekend, and they also
have stuff that wants moving up to EDI on Friday 8th / Saturday
9th. We discussed doing one-way van hires from Cam->Edi on the 8th and
Edi->York on the 24th. I have a quote for 1-way hire for a van of GBP
205, which is quite a bit more than I was hoping for. :-(

Since then, I've spoken to Phil this morning and he's suggesting we
might be able to use his Land Rover for people-and-kit lugging
instead. I'm not sure exactly how much stuff we have to lug to know
whether or not that's feasible. Basically:

What stuff needs to head north? I will have:

 * me + 2 bags
 * d-uk Ts (I expect 2-3 boxes full)

Anybody else?

Support the Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression: http://www.eff.org/cafe/