Re: [Debconf-team] Sarajevo text

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 12:15:59PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Option 2 - Student Dormitory together with Cultural Centre

> On the way to the Arabic culture center[31]

> [31] https://gallery.debconf.org/jjsjjvenue/dscn2985

The sign on the pillar in that photo reads:

    U ime Allaha, Milostivog, Samilosnog.
    Kulturni centar
    "Kralj Fahd bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud."
    15.09.2000. G.     17.06.1421. po H.

The King Fahd Mosque and Cultural Center seems to appear in a few
terrorism related reports, being reportedly a center for Wahhabism (the
variant of Islam most common in Saudi Arabia, as I understand it, [0]).

    In the Wal-Mart-sized, architecturally overbearing King Fahd
    mosque--which opened in 2000 on the outskirts of Sarajevo, built
    with Saudi money and named for the Saudi monarch--the imam is Nezim
    Halilovic Muderis, a Bosnian extremist agitator whose antics here
    I have followed since 1999. Muderis's Friday sermons, available on
    Bosnian websites, are replete with incitement to violence in Israel,
    Kashmir, Chechnya, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and the Philippines. He
    preaches the same line on the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq as is heard
    among the acolytes of terrorist leader Abu Musab al Zarqawi. It is,
    to say the least, bizarre: "In Falluja, according to statements
    from the U.S. command, spirits have appeared in the form of enormous
    spiders, weighing about a kilogram, that only attack U.S. soldiers,
    and the person who is bitten dies within seconds."

 -- http://www.islamicpluralism.org/articles/2005a/wahhabisbalkans.htm

    "They express their convictions with violence, introduce anarchy in
    mosques and preach intolerance," says Merdan, who recently founded
    an association in the Bosnian capital Sarajevo to fight against
    "those who deny basic teachings of Islam".

    Supported by a handful of independent journalists, Merdan recently
    published a book condemning the harmful influence on Bosnian people
    of Wahhabism, a radical version of Islam.

    In February, a young man who recently converted to Wahhabism killed
    his mother reportedly because she refused to join him for morning
    prayers.

    After the murder, the 23-year-old went to a "Wahhabi" mosque with
    blood on his hands and clothes, telling his fellow believers that
    he just made a "sacrifice to God".

    Sarajevo's imposing King Fahd Mosque, named after the late Saudi
    monarch who financed its construction, has in the past few years
    become the core of Bosnian followers of Wahhabism.

 -- http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060616/lf_afp/bosniasocietyreligion_060616163314

There seem to be some suggestion of links between that mosque and the
July 7th bombings in London last year too, based on some quick googling.

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahhabism