Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf 7 Venue Decision Delegation

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 05:50:21PM +0200, Amaya wrote:
> Good step, imho, but laking details.

Yeah, once a delegation is made, it's up to the delegates to work out
what actually happens.

> Anthony Towns wrote:
> >     Andreas Schuldei (stockholm -- overall organisation)

...so those areas are just things I know the individuals are already
familiar with, not necessarily what they'll consider most important.
I'm trusting that they'll have a much better idea than I do who's involved
and knowledgable about debconf, and make sure that their concerns are
met too.

>   Video team is here?

Video team isn't anywhere, since Holger's the obvious candidate,
but isn't yet a DD so can't be a delegate. But Andreas and Joerg have
already indicated they value his opinion (by suggesting he be involved),
so I'm pretty confident that'll be taken into account.

> >     Joerg Jaspert (Ganneff -- networking)
>   I think this category should be broader and include all the technical
>   requirements of debconf, networking being just a subset.

The idea I was getting at here was that "being able to hack on stuff" is
a pretty crucial component of a successful debconf; just like "somewhere
to sleep" is, or "some interesting talks".

> >     Bdale Garbee (bdale -- external perspective)
>  Sponsors under this category? Press releases? What is exactly this?

One thing I like to keep in mind is that it's easy to get so involved
in something that you end up with a completely different perspective to
the people you're building it for; I know everyone involved in debconf
tends to live and breathe it for months on end, so I like to have someone
involved who definitely won't get lost in the details simply because
they don't *know* the details.

I don't actually think there's any chance of that being a problem here,
but I'd rather keep in the habit of having the check around when it's not
a problem, than accidently miss out on it when it would've been useful.

Having a representitive from (aiui) DebConf's largest ongoing sponsor
formally involved in some of the decision making at an early point seems
an interesting experiment to at least try once, too.

> Being able to categorize every task in Debconf under one responisble
> person would help stablish procedures and so on.

It's one way to go; exactly how things actually get divided up is
something the delegates and the orga team in general will need to decide;
and could well be something that changes year to year depending on how
the local team works best anyway.

Cheers,
aj