Re: [Debconf-team] IRC Meeting to decide about next DebConf location

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 12:19 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> For personal and other reasons and also to allow Patty Langasek to participate
> (she's getting involved in the Montreal team for the "bid" for debconf8), I
> would suggest friday, the 23th of june, also at 19 (or 18) UTC.

To save everyone repeating what they already said when Patty and you
suggested moving the meeting on IRC yesterday, here's the bit of the log
that seems relevant:

* harmoney grumbles at the time for the IRC meeting.
<marga> harmoney: you are going to be -orga next debconf?
<harmoney> marga: I would like to, but I don't really know how to get
involved, which is why I've been hanging around here lately. =)
<harmoney> Problem with the IRC meeting time is that it's on Monday at
1900 UTC. I'm on the Pacific Coast in the US. I work Monday through
Thursday, and 1900 UTC is something like 1pm here.
* h01ger suggests saturday, 24th, 18 UTC then
<harmoney> I would be good with that.
* h01ger also suggests to have this discussion via mail :)
<h01ger> s/discussion/proposal/
<Ganneff> yes. mail such things.
<moray> h01ger: that's pushing it back *another* week
<harmoney> And I think that could help people in Central or PST who
might want to be involved, too.
<Ganneff> but most of our meetings always have been on workdays,
evenings (UTC)
<harmoney> What's the issue with doing it on the 18th (Sunday)?
<Ganneff> weekends should be free
<moray> most people aren't at home on Saturday evenings?
<Ganneff> more people available on non-weekend
<marga> harmoney: yeah, IRC meetings are usually at my worktime, as
well, and even worse, they usually go on until the time I have to leave
to home... :-\
<harmoney> marga: You're in central time, yes?
<moray> marga: I'm not sure what a good solution is, though I note that
both the options for next DebConf are in Europe, so it makes sense to go
with a time biased towards there
<Ganneff> its unfortunate that we have so many timezones, yes, but there
is no real time we could have a meeting, fitting everyone. :()
<marga> harmoney: ?! I'm in UTC-3, which is like 1 more hour than
Miami/NY...
<marga> moray: yes, of course.
<harmoney> moray: The problem with that is that the *following* debconf
would be on this side of the planet, and so there are people over here
who need to be involved so they have the experience they need to suggest
their own venue as well.
<harmoney> (If that makes sense..)
<harmoney> marga: That's Eastern, sorry. =)
<marga> harmoney: you want to have it in Oregon?
<harmoney> marga: No, I was hoping to help organize a Vancouver
eventually.
<marga> harmoney: ah :).
<harmoney> I'm not stupid enough to try to get it in the US, though
Portland would kick all ass.
<Ganneff> no US :)
<h01ger> .oO( Oregon is not US - some people say ) - /me hides again :)
<harmoney> There are good cities in the US. Honest. =(
<h01ger> and good people. and bad ones...
<Ganneff> bad ones are those that have something to say there...
<harmoney> h01ger: Issue is, we may not *act* like the rest of the US,
and may even shake our fists at the rest of Jesusland, but
unfortunately, people still have to fly into the US which is a problem.
<harmoney> I actually advise people to not even visit here at the
moment, even though Portland kicks all ass.
[ then the conversation continued on the theme of US politics ]

--
Moray